Buying appliances on the web

gailmrFebruary 16, 2013

We will be purchasing an Electrolux 30" wall oven. Have found one at AJ Madison that is $600-700 less than the dealer in town (we have purchased all other appliances from the local dealer).

Is it safe to make this buy online? Does anyone know how the extended warranties work this way?

We have bought many, many items for our remodel online, but never one with wires!

Thanks in advance for the input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patrick_CT

I was just looking at the same thing. It makes me a little concerned ordering online, but I do not know if I can justify the extra cost. also the warranty seem to be cheaper online than in the real stores...

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 1:20PM
gailmr

Just to make sure: I'm looking at the Electrolux EW30EW55GS Stainless Steel at AJ Madison. I'm assuming that the price is because of the President's Day Sale and am hoping that it's good through Monday. I've tried to call a couple of times but just getting voicemail. We're going to town on Monday to talk to our salesperson to make sure this is the same oven and to see if he can get the price down a bit. $100 or $200 difference is OK, but not what I'm currently seeing!

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 3:06PM
patrick_CT

This is what I just found when looking for info:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/aj-madison-appliance-showroom-brooklyn

But I have no personal experience with them.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 3:13PM
Mistman

Sears outlet is great for things that aren't big ticket items. We got the Whirlpool Duet W/D, one from Sears outlet and the other from the Whirlpool outlet, you have to check often and not be in a hurry. Sharp micro drawer from Home Depot online along w/the whole house generator, they have deals once in a while and if you use your card you can deepen the discount in some cases. I ordered the water filtration/purification online from the manufacturer. For the big kitchen things I wanted to see the actual items and have local (within 100 miles) support just in case though I did get my DW online (Bosch 800+ series panel ready) from Sears outlet. Most on-line purchases that I've seen will offer white glove delivery and set-up along w/the factory warranties even from the outlets.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 3:26PM
breezygirl

Many, many, many of us here have bought appliances online. If you search around the forum, you'll mind many posts about experiences from almost any online retailer you can find. Most of the complaints I've read about ajmadison have to do with the independent shipping companies that deliver the goods. Again, look around the forum for some of those issues.

I bought my KA warming drawer, KA BI fridge, and Sharp MW drawer online, ebay to be specific, without any problems. I saved thousands all together.

Many here have had success asking their local stores to match prices seen online. I didn't get so lucky, but it's worth a try.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 3:57PM
Farbuncle

Always,Always use your credit card when shopping on line.
You are not required to pay return shipping on a faulty item.
your card company will help you with this and other problems if something goes wrong.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 7:57PM
kgolby

I priced appliances from AJ Madison too. I was nervous about not buying locally & I was able to work a deal w/ Sears. They came very close to the price AJM gave me. Plus I was able to take advantage of a sale Sears was having (20% off) so in the end I got a better price from Sears. See if a local appliance store will price match.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 11:07PM
mike_73

I ordered a gas range and hood from aj Madison. The price on the range was several 100 less than lowes and sears the range hood not as spactular a deal but still a fair price. They were quick with delivery with me to Pennsylvania they were able to being it faster than I was ready for. I had no problem with the items. And they showed up with on the time window given. Only thing you need to know is they do not hook up things as part of the standard delivery. I guess you need to pay extra for an installer if you want. I just took care of the work myself

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 8:47AM
More Discussions
BlueStar Refrigerators
Anyone taken a look at the new BS refrigerators? If...
Mistman
How to decide on refrigeration? High versus low end.
We are a family of 4 with growing kids; cook almost...
acaba
Need a second oven/micro combo for island installation/under counter
We are getting ready to remodel our kitchen and were...
ksdeclue
Difference between advantium and convection microwave
I had almost decided on the ge advantium (monogram)...
athensmomof3
Questions on Bosch and Wolf induction - min. pan sizes
Hi, I have been reading posts on this forum for quite...
houztongirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™