both parents - need placement in CA or MD

gneegirlJanuary 26, 2008

Hi all -

I was referred here by the Single Life Forum for some advice on permanent placement for elderly parents. One is just recovering from a stroke and the other has pretty advance dimentia, after a stroke from 4 years ago. Right now they are in a respite home (apt) in Michigan. Logistically, this is nightmare because thre is no one close by to care for them, even in the assisted living environment. I need more info on madicare/medicaide, and how the systems work for long term care for both - they have to remain together. I'd prefer the Long Beach area for their home. Any help would be appreciated - really. I just got back home from Michigan, and am worried sick - especially since they aren't answering the phone. So, urgency is in place, I guess. My step-brother is there but I can't reach him either. I'm sitting here thinking the worst but still trying to keep a stable mind in order to get immmediate care for them.

Thanks so much!!

gneegirl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
compumom

I live here in Los Angeles and have a tip for you. There is a wonderful service in the San Fernando Valley called S+AGE. It's run by a couple of MD's who specialize in geriatrics, they refer you to all kinds of services and support as well as offer counseling. THey do not want to be the primary doc, rather they coordinate care with all the senior's doctors and make helpful referrals. I would call them and see what's available in the Long Beach area. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: S+AGE at Sherman Oaks Hospital

Bookmark   January 27, 2008 at 3:31AM
gneegirl

Thanks compumom!! Since I've been home there have already been two calls from the care facility - one, an ER situation. My dad had a gran mal seizure!! He's OK, and for some reason, he is more alert and talkative since then - go figure. However, this is why I'm so concerned. Hid meds were changed and he's back at "home". I will have my step-brother contact your source as soon as he gets back to CA. Thanks so much!!

gng

Bookmark   January 27, 2008 at 1:30PM
mariend

Also contact the Senior Center on Aging in the area you want them to go to.

Bookmark   January 27, 2008 at 5:45PM
azzalea

I can't help you with placement, but I did want to mention that if your father is a veteran, there is a benefit for Veterans and their wives, that helps pay for nursing home care. You should be able to track down the info through the local veteran's association. It's not enough to cover the bill, but an extra $800 or so a month certainly helps.

Good luck.

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 8:23AM
compumom

Yes, I also read about Vet's benefits. The article I read said that it was best to go through a group called Veteran's Express-- they knew more about the benefits than the folks at a local VA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aging Parent Solutions Newsletter

Bookmark   January 30, 2008 at 2:50AM
gneegirl

Hi all - I'm back at home from trying to get my folks placed somewhere safe where they can get good care. It has been a nightmare - I can't even begin to tell you. Luckly my step-brother and his wife were able to stay there for a few more days. They really did a lot and I'm sure they are exhausted!! Yesterday was the first day my folks were "on their own" as my step-brother went back home for a few weeks. They are living in a rehab type place until we can find them a more permanent place. They need a lot more care than what anyone realized.

Thanks so much for your suggestions - especially about the VA info. I'll check it out. My Dad was in the Air Force so he is eligble. He gets some VA benefits where he is now. Those services are better in MI than here in DC, IMO. So that's a good thing.

Here's hoping...

gng

Bookmark   February 6, 2008 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Sundowning
Please forgive me if this has already been covered...
hoovergal
Practical Christmas gifts
the elderly in our family have all the tee shirts,...
bossyvossy
Do you ever have a day that just goes well?
Today was one of those days. I was at mom's to get...
junebug1961
how do i tell sil i am not taking her dm
MIL lived near us for years and years. She about drove...
caminnc
T'Day
I hope on this day you aren't doing all the prep for...
CA Kate
Sponsored Products
52" Aerial Brushed Nickel Blue Canvas Blade Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Sea Gull Lighting High Output 1-Light Painted Antique Bronze Fluorescent Task Li
Home Depot
Victoria Entrance Set
Signature Hardware
Casablanca Bright Brass Integrated Low-Profile Fitter Light Kit K2CA-2
$83.20 | Home Depot
Geo Vine Art Print
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Justice Design Group FSN-8516 - Rondo 6 Light Bath Bar - Cylinder with Flat Rim
$480.00 | Hayneedle
Crystorama Parson 11" Wide English Bronze Pendant
Lamps Plus
Aviary blue placemats (set of 4)