Making a rocking recliner stop rocking

momofivejsorJanuary 23, 2014

My son is a brain cancer survivor. He has some balance and other issues. Long story short, his rocking recliner that he uses is very hard to get out of. I hate to get rid of such a nice chair. My question is does anyone know of a way to stop the rocking but still be able to use the recliner?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CA Kate

Have you tried looking under/inside the chair. I'm willing to bet that there is some way of locking the chair to keep in from rocking.

Call the manufacturer if you can't find the mechanism.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 8:27PM
mxyplx

I googled the title of your post and got some hits that might at least give you a few clues. Most involved jamming the mechanism one way or another, One site thot there might be a conversion kit depends on the manufacturer. Here's one but there were 4=5 others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rock

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 10:40PM
Gwarstong

Not exactly what you asked, but.....

If your situation is chronic, I would strongly recommend you consider an "electric chair"....one of those recliners with an electric mechanism built-in that raises or lowers the occupant. They are capable of raising the occupant to a 1/2-standing position allowing much easier access to a compromised person. From experience with my aged/demented mother, I came to regard them as nearly indispensable.

Link to examples provided. I have no association with any vendor other than as retail customer.

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures of lift-chairs

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 10:18AM
grandmamary_ga

I have an electric reclining chair if I push the button it will raise my feet or lower the back for reclining. I sometimes I find it hard to get out of it. I have found that if I don't lower it all the way it is easier for me to get out of it and it doesn't rock.
Mary

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 3:55PM
momofivejsor

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Jamie is 18 and we thought about a lift chair, but we are trying to keep as much muscle tone as we can. We notice that even little changes in excercise can effect him.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 5:42PM
fallenfar

When I cared for my mother at my home she began having a problems getting out of her rocking chair. I took my 2-10lb hand dumb bells and stuck them under the rocker blades in the back; chair was then more upright. The end parts of the weights were kinda squared off so they didn't roll...I know it sounds a bit rigged, but between her fixed income and me at underpaid job that I'm overqualified to be at; well, you just make do sometimes. Best wishes for you and your son, God bless.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
Any suggestions for boosting energy?
My 90 year old mom is still pretty sharp but she is...
patrice607
Sundowning
Please forgive me if this has already been covered...
hoovergal
Information on chair stairlifts
My husband is 90 and we are wanting to have our tub...
lucienalta
New to caregivers forum...
Hi, folks... I have been a Gardenweb member for eons,...
junebug1961
Nutritious Meals for 86 year old
Greetings--DH and I just moved DH mom in with us as...
patty2430
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™