Cordey French Lace Porcelain Figurines

rjingaSeptember 22, 2010

someone brought these into the antique mall yesterday to sell them, I bought them, and of course, no one was around there who really knew anything about them.

Some ebay searches yeilded a varied response price wise and of course, I did not see this particular set. Mainly busts.

They are in really good condition. the male figures hand has one repair, and the other a missing finger, that is partly hidden by the lace of his blouse.

No apparent dings or boo boos on the female figure. I was able to determine (not sure if accurate) that thse are French, circa 1940's? and after finding other descriptions, these appear also to be real lace covered in porcelain,

I'd love to know more about them and if at all possible to find some price range for resale value.

They are both numbered and one of them is more clearly signed than the other, as it has been worn off slightly. The one with pencil 4137 also has it engraved in, just harder to see it.

I put a price tag on them mainly to discourage anyone from buying them, til I could figure out there true value.

thanks for looking

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Cordey was made in Trenton New Jersey by the Cybis company...I think Cybis..Cordey was known for that lace technique. They took real lace and dipped it into s liquid porcelain and fired....don't know how they kept the lace from burning....
I think you could easily ask $200 for the pair...perhaps more. But I don't think you'll get it...unless a serious collector comes in.

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 3:37PM
rjinga

I'm also considering listing them on ebay, which would be a more likely place for a serious collector to find them. How ever would I go about determining their value? I realize they are only worth what someone is willing to pay. But I'd want to at least start at a price that would be in line.

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 4:53PM
lindac

I'd leave them in your shop if I were you....consider them window dressing...sort of "class up the place" and if someone buys them for $200....great! if not after a few months or a year....then go to eBay.
Linda C

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 5:26PM
lindac

I'd leave them in your shop if I were you....consider them window dressing...sort of "class up the place" and if someone buys them for $200....great! if not after a few months or a year....then go to eBay.
Linda C

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 9:55PM
lazy_gardens

The lace is linen or cotton, so it burns out cleanly during firing, leaving the porcelain behind.

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
Help with age and materials of chair
I just purchased this chair, used, with the idea of...
mikejillnelson
not a 3 headed dragon candelabra
We have had this brass candelabra for over 30 years,...
egbar
Help with print
Have some one seen this name on artwork or know of...
Dones
Age of this brass "hog scraper" candle holder?
Any idea on the age of this brass "hog scraper"...
bradleyd_svh
Help Glassware/Stemware Experts
Please help....do any glassware experts out there know...
lbachara11
Sponsored Products
Stoneware Octopus
$14.99 | Dot & Bo
Silver Cuddling Giraffes Figurine
Overstock.com
Elk Lighting 20H in. Cultured Seashells - Set of 3 - 91-4423
$166.00 | Hayneedle
Scalloped Garden Stool
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
The Killing Of A Piggy Bank by Moooi
$1,308.00 | Lumens