Had Gagg gas cooktop....buy another?

fly-weightFebruary 8, 2012

I have had a 36 inch Gaggenau gas cooktop for 14 years. I love it. We are building again. I was going to buy another but I thought I should check and see what else is out there. Gagg is not cheap.

My unit has the 17000 BTU wok burner which I find great for canning or boiling the big pot of potatoes

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ourhouse25

how timely! We're about to begin our long-awaited reno and are thinking of using the 36" Gagg gas top or the 42" Miele as our primary cooking, and our island will have 15" induction hob and 15" steamer. We're also considering the Viking 36" as well as the Dacor and the Capital Maestro. Sadly, it's very hard to find gas cooktops that have same burner sizes together for overlaying a griddle top. SMEG has several, but we're not overly comfortable with the brand.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 11:00AM
MichelleDT

What about a rangetop (for griddle)? Capital Culinarian or Bluestar?

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 11:27AM
ourhouse25

Earlier in the project I considered rangetops, and those two in particular were my first choices. But for this particular kitchen I really want to embrace a "family-friendly" design. In my experience, the whole pro look/feel and the "Saturn V booster rocket open burners" thing tends to intimidate rather than invite creative play and experimentation of younger or less-confident family members.

There's surely a time and a place for it, but this project doesn't call for it, and not intending to start a whole debate over an already well-argued and exhausted subject :)

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 11:47AM
fly-weight

Those Capital cooktops are very nice, but we have decided to stay with the minimalist euro look. I also love the very low simmer that Gagg has and 17 000 BTU is all I need in the kitchen. Pressure canning and wok cooking are my biggest BTU demands

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 2:59PM
deeageaux

The notion that a Bluestar cooktop or a Culinarian rangetop are not family friendly is silly.

Children don't know enough about cooking to be intimidated.
If they learn on a Bluestar or Culinarian that will be normal to them.

Then again,some people are intimidated by clowns. So someone somewhere will be intimidated by just about anything.

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 4:02PM
More Discussions
Install Question for Subzero Undercounter UC24 BG/S Beverage Center
We're looking to install a Subzero UC24 BG/S Undercounter...
pbx2
De Dietrich induction cooktop
Is anyone around that has any data about De Deitrich...
chinchette
cooktop
Hi, I finally narrowed down to 3 different 30 inch...
wmc123
How do you get deals on high-end appliances?
I'm pretty certain that I know what I want for my appliances....
carecooks
DCS Gas range review
DCS gas range review
brett_champagne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™