Rock hunting expedition tomorrow...any tips?

nhbasketsJanuary 27, 2012

Tomorrow we are going to our fabricator to look through their remnants for our master bath. Going armed with cabinet samples in 8 different shades of white from 2 different companies along with one of the natural cherry doors from our kitchen. No idea what we'll end up with but excited to get the process started.

Any tips on how we should approach this adventure?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

If the remnants aren't already shined up and purdy, bring a spray bottle of water and a grout sponge.

Other than that, good hunting!

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 12:11AM
treasuretheday

I found it helpful to take a picture of the slabs I really liked, followed immediately by a picture of the tag or sign with the name of the stone so that I could keep track of them without having to rely on notes and memory. They can start to all look alike after awhile.

Good luck finding "the one"!

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 12:11AM
nhbaskets

Great ideas! Thanks so much. Leaving shortly on our expedition! Will report back with how we made out.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 8:28AM
pricklypearcactus

I also recommend treasuretheday's suggestion of taking a picture of the slab followed by the tag (or vice versa). Also suggest taking a picture of the yard so you know which yard had the slab.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 12:03PM
eks6426

Not sure if this is too late, but when I did my kitchen I took a ton of pictures of the slabs, but I leaned my other finishes up against it before I took the picture...so cabinet door, paint color options etc. It really helped.

Oh yeah, and you might want to be clear about your budget before you go hunting. Tell the people at the stone yards a range. I found slabs that I loved but were 3X my budget. I kept trying to work the budget around to fit in those lovely slabs but didn't. I wasted a lot of time loving those way to expensive slabs though!

Happy hunting. I really enjoyed the rock yards.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 1:31PM
eks6426

So, what did you find?

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 10:23PM
nhbaskets

Sorry for not following up sooner. We had a whirlwind day last Saturday, picking out our countertop, tile and finalizing our vanity. Here's the rundown:

Cambria Canterbury countertop and backsplash.
-Also plan to have shower threshold done in this.
American Orlean Caterina Roman Gold tile.
-12x12 on floor done on the diagonal
-8x10 on the shower walls
-mosaic on the shower floor and in niche.
Medallion inset shaker vanity in White Chocolate Classic.

We already have purchased RH Asbury faucet, sconces, TP holder, plus assorted items.

Now I need to decide how to run the tile in the shower. It's a small shower stall, 3x3. Was thinking about running them vertically and offset. Not sure if that would be too busy. Any suggestions?

This is our master bath, so I'm getting really excited. It's a very small space, but I'm hoping it will be as beautiful as many that I've seen here.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 7:31PM
More Discussions
Tere-stone anyone?
Does anyone have any experience with Tere-stone as...
coffeehaus
shower pan worries. Is any of his method correct?
Unsure about my plumber's method. Could I get some...
mmaggied
White tubs not really white?
For our new build, I have chosen Imperial Blanco white...
mom2sulu
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
anyone know this brand for shower fixtures?
Trying to get a replacement part. Bathroom remodel...
jormydog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™