How-to's of Home Health Aides

jkom51January 8, 2009

This is a series of 3 articles in the NYTimes' excellent blog by Jane Gross (her blog is titled The New Old Age). It discusses home health aides from a licensed agency, which gives one a good idea of costs, issues, etc. to consider. The link is to the third article, which gives additional links to the first two.

Yes, I know most people can't afford this. However, this is a rare look into actual costs in a big city, and thus useful for everyone to consider when planning for their own LTC needs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Health Aides series

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikeandbarb

WOW, It cost a lot more to have home health care than AL or a Nursing home, then you add in the cost of food,utilities, ect.
My husbands step grandmother was from Holland and when she needed 24/7 care the government of Holland paid for her care. She lived in Calif.
I've heard that Holland is doing away with their help in many of their health care programs.

My husband has a niece that is mentally challenged and the government pays for all of her health care and they pay the parents vacation time. It's not welfare, you don't have to be poor or in hardship to get the help that's needed. I don't know if this is changing too but I wouldn't be surprised if it is effected by the changing times.

Bookmark   January 17, 2009 at 10:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shambo

Jkom, that's an informative series of aritcles. Everyone should read that before hiring home health aids or suggesting home health aids as a solution. When my mom lived with us, we hired some home health aids through a reputable agency. We foolishly thought I could handle most of the care myself. It didn't take long before we realized that dealing with a 93 year old woman with limited mobility, dementia, and almost total bowel & bladder incontinence was too much for my poor body. So we upped the hours of in-home care. After a while, we were actually paying more for the in-home aids than if we had kept my mother in her AL. Add to that the constant caregiver turnover, retraining, monitoring what they're doing, etc. Eventually, I found another AL closer to me for my mom. Now she's in its memory care unit.

In home health care is a good option for many as long as the funds are available and the needs aren't too great.

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 2:44PM
More Discussions
T'Day
I hope on this day you aren't doing all the prep for...
CA Kate
incessant throat clearing
Ok, I feel guilty even posting this, but I am desperate...
coolbeansw
Live In Caregiver having to give up bed for visiting family
I am a LIVE IN Caregiver for a senior with Alzheimer's....
mangomoon
Canadian pharmacy??
My mom's prescription has just gone "off label"...
patrice607
Sundowning
Please forgive me if this has already been covered...
hoovergal
Sponsored Products
Courtyard Model CY2829-1E01 Green Rectangular: 5 ft. 3 in. x 7 ft. 7 in. Rug
$104.95 | Bellacor
Furniture of America Jones 7 Piece Dining Set - Espresso - IDF-3311T 7PC SET
Hayneedle
King Hannah Matelasse Coverlet Set - IVORY
$479.90 | Horchow
Turquoise Stamp Frame
$9.99 | zulily
Warren Geometric Down Fill Throw Pillow Blue
Overstock.com