Do cabinet pulls/knobs have to match your faucet finish?

margarJanuary 1, 2012

Hi! Long time lurker here!

Getting to the final point of our endless master bath remodel - finally!!

Bought a kraftmaid vanity cabinet in the color "Canvas" (off white) with a "Coco" glaze. I bought a Delta Leland faucet in Chrome. I first put chrome pulls/knobs on the vanity, but it really didn't look right. So I switched them out to dark bronze color and the pulls/knobs look much better with the cabinet. But now I am thinking - oh no - the chrome faucet will look odd as the cabinet hardware doesn't match the finish on the faucet. Maybe it doesn't really matter???

OK - so what is the consensus on this one? Thanks for any input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Olychick

I used brush nickel faucets and a bronzy orb cabinet pull on natural fir cabinets. I was worried it would look odd, but am very happy with how it came out.

Bookmark   January 2, 2012 at 1:12PM
xoldtimecarpenter

No. They just have to match your sense of style.

Bookmark   January 2, 2012 at 3:59PM
margar

Thanks for some input. For some reason I thought everything was supposed to match in finish. Such as light fixture finish, faucets, TP holder, pulls, etc. Guess it doesn't have to be that way.....

Bookmark   January 3, 2012 at 10:28AM
janealexa

Definitely ok to mix finishes. We also have chrome Delta Leland faucets in some of our baths. Towel bars, robe hooks, and toilet paper holder are chrome. Light fixtures, cabinet hardware, and door hardware are ORB.

In the master we have chrome Moen Monticello faucets then everything else is bronze (light fixtures, towel bars,robe hooks, toilet paper holder, cabinet hardware, door hardware).

Here is one of my inspiration pics with mixed finishes:

traditional bathroom design by phoenix kitchen and bath Affinity Kitchens

HTH, Good luck!

Bookmark   January 3, 2012 at 11:09AM
andreadeg

In my minds' eye chrome and bronze are polar opposites. To me, they don't belong together. A designer friend once told me, "your finished don't have to match but they have to agree". Great advice. I think polished nickel and bronze would be better mates. But then again, if you like it, keep it!

Bookmark   January 3, 2012 at 1:10PM
bnevens

We had planned to have all fixtures/hardware polished chrome but later decided to change cabinet/drawer pulls to Top Knobs Aspen Twig in Silicon Bronze Light finish so that the cabinets/drawers beneath the two sinks would look more like a piece of furniture. We are extremely happy with that decision.

Here is a link that might be useful: Top Knobs Aspen Twig Silicon Bronze Light

Bookmark   January 3, 2012 at 2:04PM
Mick Mick

I think that it is a personal choice. I prefer the look of mixed metals. As long as they match in terms of style (transitional versus modern), I think that they can play well together.

Also, I tend to think of chrome finishes as "the jewelry"...every bathroom/kitchen needs a hint of it.

Ultimately, it is your home. I believe that it is important to surround yourself with things that make you happy.

Bookmark   January 6, 2012 at 10:56PM
Lia007

Do metal have to match? We are redoing our half bath, I already bought a beautiful chrome faucet W/ 2 handles and a soap dispenser to go in our granite top and purchased chrome towel bar and paper holder but think they are too shiny, can I exchange for brushed nickel of is the not right/ I am keeping my chrome faucet, can I mix?

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 2:24PM
Olychick

You can do anything if it pleases you, but before you change out the chrome accessories for something else, try them with towels covering the bars and tp on the holder. You may find that when you actually use them instead of looking at them naked, that such a little bit of the fixtures show that they won't be much of too shiny at all.

1 Like    Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Wood Beadboard on the walls outside the shower?
I was reading an article on saving money on tile, by...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Textured tile on the floor of shower for safety?
I read this suggestion somewhere, has anyone used this...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Quality manufacturer of bathroom fixtures?
We would like to purchase the best quality for a low...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
What is the strongest, best bathroom fan on the market?
We've had mildew in our old bathroom, despite having...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™