Shampoos/Conditioners that Protect Hair Color?

cbarkstonDecember 10, 2009

Are hair care products really effective in making your hail color last? I can see where a leave-in conditioner with UV protection might help protect it from the sun fading it, but do shampoos and rinse-out conditioners really do anything to protect your chemical hair color? I've tried (been sold) a number of different products that don't seem to me to make any noticeable difference. Any recommendations for products that really do work?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

I don't know if they work or not, but I use them. Gotta use something, right?

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 10:41PM
sylviatexas1

Look for a shampoo that doesn't have sodium laurel sulfate;
it's a drying agent that strips the protective layers from your hair.
I found one at Dollar Tree.

When you color or touch up your hair, use a plastic cap, even if the product doesn't call for it;
using the cap will keep keep oxygen from contacting the colorant & oxidizing (stripping) the color.

Bookmark   December 12, 2009 at 6:58PM
mitchdesj

I use Aveda Color Conserve , have been for years, it works well for me.

I have not found yet a proper sunblock spray to help protect hair against the sun though.

Bookmark   December 21, 2009 at 6:40AM
summiebee

Pureology line is amazing for this. They also have a sinblock hairspray mitchdesj

Bookmark   December 21, 2009 at 10:48AM
mitchdesj

thanks summie, I'll try to find it at sephora.

Bookmark   December 23, 2009 at 5:57AM
summiebee

mitchdesj:
I don't think they carry it there. I think Target of all places has been stocking a few of these higher end brands. Or some higher ends salons carry it. They have a leave in protectant, S and C and hairspray. They are sulfate free etc. Nice line. Little spendy, but worth it. You use very little which was my mistake. I went through a bottle too quickly. LOL. I was like Seriously? then my stylist told me to use WAY less.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pureology Line

Bookmark   January 10, 2010 at 11:29AM
eccentric

Goldwell products. Definitely not cheap, but you don't need to use a lot. My natural hair colour is (was) auburn - so is now coloured that shade - and as we all know, red fades fast - and my Irish heritage, very thick hair grows like a weed. This stuff is seriously great. I live in Canada and buy it from the colourist - I can only assume it is easy to find in the U.S. (or maybe that is just me because every time I visit the U.S. I am ballistic at the stuff you have that we don't).

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 2:58PM
wildchild

I love the Pureology products. I alternate then with Bumble &Bumble.

I have long hair and we play a lot with the color.

I always though salon products were a way too expensive but I finally decided to invest in a couple of giant bottles. I paid around $80 or $90 for those first two bottles. I found that you use so much less of the good stuff that those bottles lasted me two years plus! That's pennies on the dollar I was paying when I was spending around 10 dollars a month on drugstore products.

I've found in my area at least the salon products are cheaper in my salon than they are are Target etc.

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 3:57AM
ellie45

Rosewest, I hope this helps. My tip stops you from stripping the life out of your hair.
I buy a decent brand of shampoo, like Pantene, then I take half of it out and replace that with water and shake.
I am over 60 and wash my hair every day and color it too. It is shiny and full of body. I just blow dry it straight and use no hair spray.

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 3:51AM
More Discussions
HOW much for a cut and highlight?
I normally post on the quilting and diet club boards,...
miscindy
buying named fragrances on-line ... risky?
I find fragrances I like are not popular sometimes...
vieja_gw
Proper wedding attire
We are invited to my Fiance's nieces wedding in November...
arizonarose
Help with dry frizzy hair
I have very dry hair. It's very fine and straight,...
Twinkle
Skimmer shoes....socks, knee-his, or bare feet?
I know it's a weird question...but ...I hate wearing...
marc_ia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™