Thinning & Stringy Hair

bwyjewelDecember 21, 2005

I'm 46, female and have very thinning hair - it's very noticeable in the front area of my scalp (I try to cover it up by wearing it to the side)and my hair is almost down to my shoulders (I look horrible in short hair)and because it's so thin, it looks very stringy. I'm on Levoxyl and have my thyroid tested regularly and it's fine.

Anybody have any possible solution for this? I've tried the store brand Rogaine (it just makes my hair grow but doesn't grow in the thinning areas). I'm so self-conscious about this and can't afford plugs, transplant, etc.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jamie

Have you experimented with fake hair? I have a couple of pieces from Toni Brattin, who sells on HSN. Her bangs got negative customer reviews, but the new hair extensions have been well received. If you watch the show she demonstrates how to "install" the hair.

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 11:22PM
Jamie

After I posted I looked around some more. I didn't find any bangs that seemed natural, but the Revlon Hair Enhancer looks interesting. Have you seen it? It's kind of like a wiglet with holes. It adds volume to the crown of your head, but you pull your own hair through holes in the mesh base, so all the length would be your own.

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 11:50PM
Terrapots

Have you tried the hair vitamins, biotin is supposed to help nails and hair. I was losing a lot of hair especially in front and started using Folicure shampoo and conditioner and also biotin. I have lots of new short hairs there and my part does not appear as wide as before. At least my hair has stopped falling off when I shampoo. I saw some topical Minoxidil for women at Target today which I may alsos try. I understand massaging also increases circulation, hanging your head down to draw blood there, as well as taking gingko biloba. It may help hair growth if nutrients are adequate. I would also review diet for adequate protein, minerals, etc. My mom had very thin hair like that and she was told to rub raw potato into her hair, I don't recall full details. Apple cider vinegar and sage tea rinse is supposed to help new hair grow in. Good luck, this is not a good situation for women.

Bookmark   December 29, 2005 at 12:09AM
More Discussions
Lifestyle lift, yeah or nay?
I am concerned with sagging and turkey neck. LL looks...
bossyvossy
bath soap
What is your favorite bath soap and do you use antibacterial...
Pat
testing
Spirea reverting.
catkin
What to Wear with Dresses in the Winter
I notice the women on the morning shows all wear short...
blueheron
Eyeliner that will not smear? Have oily skin
Is there any other poster that has oily eye lids? I...
colorcrazy
Sponsored Products
Stunning New Geometric Runner Balouch Rug Hand Knotted Wool Medallion Free
BH Sun Inc
Powell Red Leatherette and Chrome Thin-seat Adjustable Bar Stool (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Slow Chair by Vitra
$3,655.00 | Lumens
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S3522 Bidet Faucet - S3522CCR
$684.92 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Tribeca Multi Rectangle
Home Depot
Darya Rugs Kilim, Green, 2'5" x 3'6" M1770-531
Darya Rugs
Cosmo Shag Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. Rug
$299.00 | Bellacor
Forest Spirit Planter