What to do with drum trap

joanne77aJanuary 11, 2014

I am doing a minor bath remodel/redecorate, getting a new tub as part of it. We need to route our new plumbing around the aged drum trap. The floor is original (1930s) hex tile and we are keeping it. But the corroded drum trap top is very visible, between the tub and toilet in the floor.

I don't know if we can remove the old drum trap and replace the hole with tile without having it look obviously like a patch. I don't know if after the plumber demos it (it is all fused together, the lid and the trap) if we can just get a clean chrome top and that will be an improvement.

How have others handled the visible top of the drum trap during a remodel which leaves the floor intact?

Thanks,

Joanne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ineffablespace

What color is the tile and what condition is it in? Even if the drum trap is non-functional it may be much easier to get a new chrome top than it is to patch the floor. Is there someplace in the bathroom like an linen closet where you could carefully remove old tiles for the patch?

Here is a link that might be useful: Example drum trap cover.

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 8:11PM
jackfre

I think I'd access the old trap from the lower floor thru its ceiling. Easier to repair the ceiling than the floor.

Bookmark   January 11, 2014 at 8:24PM
joanne77a

Thanks for the suggestion ineff. No spare tile to patch, unfortunately. I'm wondering if the aged metal we have is better than shiny new chrome. If I can figure out how, I'll post a photo.

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 2:07AM
joanne77a

Jackfre, I'm trying to figure out what to do aesthetically. They can definitely access the trap from below, but I wonder if I can make it look better from above. Thanks for the input.

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 2:09AM
More Discussions
Under bathroom sink pull-out
Having custom bathroom vanity built...double sinks...
janelor
Mirror Mirror on the Wall, Why Can't I Find One I Like at All!
The countdown is on. We start the master remodel in...
Monrovia Mom
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Strom Thermostatic Control Valve & Volume Controls for Shower
I am looking at the Strom Plumbing shower system for...
nancyinmich
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™