Having trouble finding decent petite clothes

HappyladiDecember 21, 2005

I am short and need to wear petites. Dillards always carried a nice petite selection. Yesterday when I went there the selection was horrible. I asked the salewoman about it and she agreed, they stopped carrying Ralph Lauren and Liz is also not going to be carried any more. There are others not being carried, also.

The petites at Kolhs this year is also terrible. Last year Sears had Lands End petites, this year they aren't carrying any. Selection is very poor there.

Penny's petites aren't good, either. Petite Sophisticates is closing all their stores.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kim_okla

Yes. I went to Eddie Bauer and bought men's slacks and jeans so I could get the correct length.

Bookmark   December 21, 2005 at 2:24PM
azmom

Have you tried
Talbots - store, catelog and internet site
Lands' End - store, catelog and internet site
Eileen Fisher - internet site, or Dillard's, Macy's
Misook - Dillard's and Nordstorm and their internet site

They all carry wonderful petite selections. Once you know your measurements and their sizes, watching for their sales, you can find beautiful, classy, high quality clothes at reasonable prices.

Bookmark   December 22, 2005 at 12:11AM
susan_in_nc

I saw that Petite Soph. is closing here in Ral. It's a shame, because I could almost always find something that fit there. Talbots does have petites, but the price tends to be double what I had been paying at other stores.

Susan

Bookmark   December 23, 2005 at 8:44PM
pattyannie

Try Ann Taylor Loft or Ann Taylor stores. They have a nice petite selection. Sometimes they are a bit pricy, but they do have coupons and their markdowns are terrific. I just bought some petite pants for New York and Company today. They fit very nicely and the legs aren't so long. My only problem with Ann Taylor is that the pants are way too long. I am a size 12 petite, so it is nice getting a size that fits in the waist hips and length.

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 7:28PM
centralcacyclist

Jones New York petites are nice as well. And Ralph Lauren. I like Macy's petite department, they carry all these brands. They have their own brand called Style & Co. that is trendy. They also have a more conservative brand called Charter Club but I find that they run small through the bust. Short women are supposed to be built like children I guess!

Here is a link that might be useful: Macy's petites

Bookmark   December 29, 2005 at 8:04PM
lindac

Vonmaur has wonderful petites.....and is a great store....if there is one near you.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: vonmaur

Bookmark   December 30, 2005 at 11:17AM
bluemonster

I'm 5'2" have been ordering J-Crew Petites with very good luck. They have a pretty big selection of items, and you can return the items to a J-Crew store even though the stores don't stock petite sizes. They also have great ongoing sales.
My 5' sister loves Banana Republic petites, which you can find in some stores or online.

Bookmark   February 27, 2006 at 9:11PM
elizabeth_5

Another suggestion is J Jill. Stores are mainly at high end malls, but they have a very nice catalog (which is online). I *love* their clothes. They are much more stylish than a lot of Talbots' clothes (some of which I find rather dumpy), yet not teenager-trendy like Bloomingdales. I also have good luck with Liz Claiborne and LL Bean petites.

That said, finding a new store that consistantly carries clothes in one's personal fit can mean shopping around and trying stuff on.

Also, as I've grown older, "shop 'til I drop" means I "drop" a lot sooner. ;) So I don't have the energy to physically shop around. When I first did online shopping I sent a lot of stuff back. Some Petite lines can be either too loose or too tight. You just have to try them. (Nordstroms, BTW has a nice return policy.)

It wasn't that many years ago that there were no stores catering to petite sizes. I remember when there weren't even any petite clothes at all! (You probably weren't even born yet. :)) We had to do a lot of hemming, let me tell you.

Just as a guess, the petite-only stores (and P-clothing lines in higher-end retail stores) may be suffering from increased online shopping and cheaper lines in discount stores. I'm sorry to see PS disappear, but then I haven't been patronizing them either. :q

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 2:17PM
sheilajoyce_gw

My DD wears a small petite size, and we find Jones New York brand fits her best. We also like petite INC. I find both of them at Macy's. We bought some great discouted blouses at Christmas at our Petite Sophisticate. Then I reminded her a few weeks ago to check PS in her town, and she made another killing.

Bookmark   March 6, 2006 at 1:53AM
woodie2

Elizabeth, you have reminded me of when I was a teenager and had such trouble finding petite sizes. I don't know where you live, but in the 60's the only place to find good petite clothes in northern New Jersey was in Arnold Constable's - wonder if anybody else is old enough to remember that store! My poor mother must have had a terrible time with me - dragging me all around to shop, especially for a prom dress or some special occasion - gosh it was difficult.

Bookmark   March 7, 2006 at 11:14AM
Kathleen8B_FL

I'm 5' 4 1/2", and regular clothes are way out of proportion (and pants way too long), but many petite pants are too short. I love Macy's Style & Co. petite line--fits me perfectly. I also like Ann Taylor Loft, although I haven't tried their pants yet--only dresses and tops. JCPenney also has a pretty good petite department.

Bookmark   March 10, 2006 at 8:59PM
krustytopp

In Canada, there's Cleo. They have mostly office wear.

Bookmark   March 11, 2006 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
Does Bare minerals make your face itch????
Another thread about Bare minerals...Sorry, But I need...
Carrie_AZ
where Cathy Daniels clothing sold...?
I have a hard time getting clothes to fit well &...
vieja_gw
Revlon Mechanical Eyebrow Pencil Refill
I have used the Revlon Mechanical Eyebrow Pencil and...
MrsJrs
Regular down vs. ultra lite down
Help, I live in the south where down is not part of...
scpalmetto
Skin Health Maintenance
Hi, I am 30 and need advice on my skin care/skin health...
alexander123
Sponsored Products
Star Vanity Bar by Fire Farm
$417.60 | Lumens
Mosaic Tile Tray
$379.00 | FRONTGATE
Mia Bronze Three-Light Bath Fixture with Halva Glass
$391.50 | Bellacor
Grand Liberty Deluxe 9 Piece Grey Rectangular Dining Set
Overstock.com
Gervin Corner Sectional - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture