11th edition encyclopedia britanica?

ms01634August 5, 2010

I have a complete set of 11th edition (1929) encyclopedia britanicas. The only thing I know is that the 10th edition was many years earlier and a badly needed update was manufactured through sears & roebuck in 1929. These are as perfect as they come. Just age discoloration. they were on shelves their entire life. Any ideas on the value??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I think if you can find a buyer, you will be lucky.
Old encylopedia have almost no value.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 10:38PM
mfrog

The 11th edition is the one collectible edition, if it has the calf leather, BUT, like Linda said, it's very difficult to sell. Having said that, I buy them cheap if they still have the original wood bookcase, because they sell really well as magazine stands.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 1:57PM
lazy_gardens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Encyclop%C3%A6dia_Britannica#11th_edition

That one and the 9-10th edition are superb pre-WWI reference sources for writers and scientists, but not extremely valuable.

If it's a 1929 Sears printing, it's perhaps the 14th edition, still a good reference for early modern things.

The trick is advertising it as a reference source for WRITERS ... I've sold several ratty sets of encyclopedias bu focusing on their status as "state of the art" for people who write about history and write historical fiction.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
Can anyone identify this nightstand?
This nightstand was my grandmas and was given to me...
Michael Potter
Antique Bell evaluation
Hi, I have this antique bell. Can anyone tell me what...
Shay Yakobi
Any Idea what this item could be?
Simply put I have zero idea what this could be, It...
mikerond
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
Mystery Lamp Company
Hello. I am trying to find out information about the...
debragcar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™