What is this???

tasymoAugust 18, 2010

Hello Folks! I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea what this old turned wooden object might be? I got it at a thrift store for 60 cents because it intrigues me. It looks as if someone used it for an ash tray, or to tap the dottle from their pipe, because the inside is scorched. It is about 2" tall, and 3 1/4" in diameter. The knob in the center protrudes about 1/4" above the rim. Thanks for looking! Kathy

[IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/14w62qt.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
someone2010

I believe your guess about being for a pipe is correct.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 1:17AM
tasymo

It seems odd to me that someone would spend the time to create such a lovely piece of turned wood for a use that would obviously damage it. I doesn't surprise me that someone would use it the way they did, if they didn't know it's actual purpose...

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 1:25PM
lindac

To a pipe smoker that is a very important accessory...wood is easier on a precious pipe than ceramic or metal.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 3:54PM
jemdandy

I think its an ash tray for pipe smokers, a typical project for high school wood shop.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 12:01AM
pris

The knob like thing in the middle was used to snuff out the remaining embers when the smoker was through smoking. Surprisingly enough, it would take a very long time to cause any major damage if any. If they were careful the embers were not hot long enough.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 12:27PM
tasymo

Thanks Everyone! I suspected it had been used by a pipe smoker (my Dad smoked a pipe throughout my childhood), just not that it had been made for that expressed purpose. Now, I can easily imagine someone creating it in Shop class, as a gift for their Dad, or Grampa. One of the reasons I love antiques and collectables is the story and spirit behind the item. Thanks again! Kathy

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
Copper bowls
Can anyone provide any info relating to these copper...
Cassie- LeBlanc
Mystery Lamp Company
Hello. I am trying to find out information about the...
debragcar
Haviland France Limoge Covered Veg. Bowl
I have a lovely Haviland veggie bowl here but I can't...
Llweyn
Japanese Floral Calendar Plate Collection by Hamilton
I was given a set of 12 Japanese Chokin plates by a...
alygal
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Dones
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™