5 Rams in a box, what are they?

justlindaAugust 8, 2011

Bought this box for .75 and was wondering if anybody here can interpret the writing (Chinese/Japanese - not sure which), and any ideas what they may be used for. I thought maybe chopstick rests.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I think they are chop stick holders.....but why 5? The ram for Year of the ram...
just a guess....but....

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 11:29PM
Fori is not pleased

What are they? Adorable! That's what! :)

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 11:43PM
calliope

There is a city in China that legend says became prosperous when five Gods came to the city, riding on five rams with rice sheaths in their mouths and left their blessing.

I don't know if this has any significance to that set of five rams or not. Just found it on a google.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guangzhou

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 12:08AM
Mikk

Yes... chopstick stands, and yes... from China. Top three characters mean "clear water ware". The next line just says "east city clear water ware (something) same (something) set". The box just says "baby sheep" "quantity 5"

Sorry... Chinese uses more characters not commonly used in Japanese :-)

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 8:44AM
Mikk

I forgot to answer :-) 5 in a set is very common. 4 for 4 diners, and 1 for the saibashi/service/community chopsticks used to serve oneself from a community dish.

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 9:49AM
sweeby

I wondered why there were so often 5. (I recently served a Japanese luncheon for 6 and found that very frustrating...)
And also how people were supposed to serve themselves from community bowls without using their own chopsticks --

Thanks Mikk!

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 10:48AM
justlinda

Now if only I could learn how to use chopsticks LOL.
Thanks for the input.

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 12:18PM
calliope

You seldom find sets of four in Japan either, because four there is an unlucky number. If one would go into a pottery shop and pick up four cups, the proprietor would often throw in the fifth cup gratis. My mother, who was a pottery buff did this often in the little village where we lived until she found out that the vendor was giving his ware away out of fear and then she felt badly. From then on out, she bought and paid for five. ;-)

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 12:31PM
Mikk

Among family and friends, it's common to just use the back end of your chopsticks to take food from a community dish, but then again, if it's just family or close friends, you normally wouldn't set out chopstick rests anyway.

Callioope is also correct. 4 and 9 are very unlucky numbers in Japan. Even in tall buildings you will often go from floor 3 to floor 5. Not so in China, so I don't think that has anything to do with the set count, but an interesting anecdote nonetheless, hu. :-)

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 6:05PM
calliope

Right........the reason I threw that in, is that we get a lot of ?s about Oriental makers marks on things like tea sets, and whether it's imported or meant for the occidental trade. They're usually Japanese if they're older. So I thought I'd pass that along since it's come up on threads before. If it's in a set of four, and you know its a complete set, it probably is. If it's a complete set of five, it probably isn't and somebody picked it up offshore.

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 7:05PM
Mikk

Calliope - well put.

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Value of Crocker chair?
Can anyone tell me the value of this Crocker chair?...
joyce_6333
Rosenthal China Pattern?
I stumbled upon this fine china bowl by Rosenthal,...
lana_roma
Antimassacars and tablecloth
I found a cache of embroidered and lace furniture accessories...
debodun
Home Design Show in NYC
click to win tickets http://www.architecturaldigest.com/win-adhds-tickets...
ami1026
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Area Rug: Scrolls Black 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Amazonia Milano Eucalyptus Round Patio Dining Set - Seats 4 - BT 470_5ROUND
$967.20 | Hayneedle
Engage Armchair and Sofa Set of 2 in Azure
$1,389.00 | LexMod
Hand-woven Tribal Wool & Jute Area Rug (3' x 5')
Overstock.com
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S3504/5 Bathtub Faucet with Hand Shower - S3504/5CCR
Hayneedle
Shag Animal Design Zebra Black/ White Area Rug (5' x 7')
Overstock.com
Detroit Tigers Game Time Mug
$11.99 | zulily
Area Rug: Rainbow Multi 5' x 8'
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™