How to lengthen a cocktail dress?

purpleaaNovember 1, 2008

I've got a great dress, but it is kind of short for my age. It's black with a slightly flared bottom, all the same fabric (some sort of crepe-like fabric). It hits me mid-thigh right now. I'd like to lengthen it to knee-length or just above the knee.

I'm not totally opposed to lace, but it's not my favorite thing. Plus I don't think it would lay correctly, since it's not a straight skirt.

I was thinking of something in an opaque solid fabric, just adding an extra "stripe" of fabric at the bottom. If I wear black stockings, how would it look if I did this in a color, like deep ruby? Too much? Should I stick with black? I'm going for a sophisticated/classy look, but not too old.

Are there other options I'm not thinking of?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
purpleaa

Oh, I guess there's no way to edit posts here. I forgot to say, I have a very long satin jacket in a dark ruby that I may want to wear with it.

Bookmark   November 1, 2008 at 5:30PM
centralcacyclist

What about making it even shorter and wearing it as a top paired with a nicely fitted slim skirt the right length in a pretty color you like? It thank that would end up looking better. And not at all like you added fabric to lengthen a dress.

Bookmark   November 1, 2008 at 7:32PM
purpleaa

Thanks for your response. I took a look at it and this won't work for this particular dress. I think I'll take a trip to the fabric store and see if I can find similar fabric along with a contrasting fabric. What I could do is make one stripe of a contrasting fabric and finish it with a similar/matching fabric at the bottom. Maybe that would look like it was intended.

I will post a pic if I end up doing this.

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 8:41AM
socks

You could also ask your question over on the sewing forum.

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 5:39PM
centralcacyclist

It was a thought. It would have be the right shape to work as a top. I look forward to seeing what you do. Will you need to lengthen the lining, too?

I did an image search for two piece cocktail or formal dresses and found this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Bill Blass

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 10:22AM
lpinkmountain

I would stick with a black color whatever you decide, that way you will keep the flexibility you get with basic black going with so many other things.

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 2:20PM
jaybird

If the original fabric is matte, a shiny fabric to lengthen would look good...if the orig. is shiny, try a matte or a lightweight velvet.
I would also stay with black...
My niece is over 6' tall, so we do a lot of lengthening around here :^)
Good luck...

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 5:08PM
purpleaa

hmmm, that vintage Bill Blass number is really pretty. I had to close the tab so I wouldn't buy it!

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Facial Hair from upper lip
Hi All upper lip I have an embrassing problem with...
Angel1977
Eyeliner that will not smear? Have oily skin
Is there any other poster that has oily eye lids? I...
colorcrazy
Help with dry frizzy hair
I have very dry hair. It's very fine and straight,...
Twinkle
twisted silver chain
When I was in Poland a friend gave me a silver chain...
bleusblue
Proper wedding attire
We are invited to my Fiance's nieces wedding in November...
arizonarose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™