How do you dispose of rags after using things like miniwax, turpentine and linseed oil?
Lay them out in an open place to dry....then dispose of them like any trash.
You need to be careful not to close solvent soaked rags in a container because there is a danger of spontaneous combustion.
Ditto what Linda said. Long ago my ex left a pile of tung oil soaked rags on the floor in our den. We woke in the night because the smoke made us cough. We found a smoldering mound of rags. Very scary. Now I spread them out on cement to dry.
At the end of the day, I usually wash them out in warm soapy water, and wring them out. Then I open them up and lay them across my saw horse to dry. If there is still a lot of residue, I put them in water till they are soaking wet, put them in a plastic bag, and throw them in the trash. The used paint and lacquer thinner I usually strain through a coffee filter and keep it in a coffee can to use again, like the first stage of cleaning a brush or cleaning off paint remover.
You asked how we did it, not if our way was the best.
Thanks for the suggestions--I appreciate it.
SInce you were all so nice about my initial question, I have a few follow-ups:
Gloves: do you use decent ones, rinse and dry them, or use cheap disposables and discard every time? And can they be dried and discarded in the garbage?
If you take a solvent out of its container to put in a smaller one, what do you use? Glass and re-use it? How do you dispose of it?
I've been using a mix of turp and linseed oil to freshen up some furniture. I put it in a cottage cheese container and now don't know if it's safe to keep it in there.
Sorry if these questions seem dumb/basic. I'm super-paranoid about fires because we had a housefire once, and I want to do the right thing in terms of environmental safety.
I use "refinishing gloves"...clumsy but won't dissolve in paint remover, and since they are expensive Is ave them.... I return clean solvent to the large container....and a linseed and turp mix would be fine to save....but it won't keep very long...but won't spontaneously combust.