ID help Please--Churn??

cpackjrAugust 12, 2012

This item is 20 inches tall, 10 inches wide on top and has a very glossy glaze and has a couple of flaws that are glazed over on one side. The picture shows a lip in the top opening about the same size of most churns. There are no markings on it anywhere. Is it a churn? Or some other type of crock? Thanks for any help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope

The interior lip suggests a lid. You didn't mention one. Butter can actually be made in any type narrow crock, so I dunno. I churn butter but my crock churn is more traditionally shaped, not cylindrical. I'm a crockery nerd, and can't say I've seen one just like this. I doubt it's a kraut crock because the interior lip would prevent you from weighting down the cabbage over it's entire surface. Might even be an umbrella stand. It's the right size.

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 9:18PM
lindac

Certainly not a churn....20 inches tall? I would guess an umbrella stand...or perhaps a vase!...Does look like it was expecting a lid but perhaps that helps keep the umbrellas or flowers upright.
Linda C

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 9:59PM
calliope

Linda, I've been churning butter for years with a fourteen inch tall crockery churn. It makes three pounds at a crack.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 9:47PM
lindac

It wasn't the height that said "not a churn"...but the height said "umbrellas"..
Not saying it's Red Wing....but I do think it's an umbrella stand.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: redwing umbrella stand

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 11:26PM
calliope

It's exactly the right size and shape for an umbrella stand. However, even though it makes sense to have that interior lip to hold stuff upright, it's absent in all the umbrella stands I have seen from all the famous local art potteries. I also think that's the best bet so far.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
help identifying antique table
I found this table at an estate sale for 45 dollars....
moya0311
Help identifying Bowl
I have had this Bowl for some time, i can't seem to...
Dones
Antique Bell evaluation
Hi, I have this antique bell. Can anyone tell me what...
Shay Yakobi
Need history of "Lister Woodcraft"
Trying to determine if this wooden candlestick is really...
bradleyd_svh
Japanese Floral Calendar Plate Collection by Hamilton
I was given a set of 12 Japanese Chokin plates by a...
alygal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™