Hand painted plate... trying to date.

raetaylorAugust 10, 2011

I have a hand painted plate approx. 7.25 inches. The stamp on the back is from s.& g. gump co. san francisco. They were the importer. I have located other gump marks but none like this. The other mark is Japanese... at least I think it is. Ive done hours of searching to try to decipher the mark but I guess you need to speak japanese... which i dont..lol. Anybody read Japanese or have knowledge on the age of the gump mark? I would appreciate any information!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mikk

I could be wrong... I'm not a ceramic buff, but the pattern looks more Chinese or Korean to me. I could translate for you, but not from the picture 'as is'. It's too small and blurry. Looks kind of like "life" "something" "mountain". Possibly "life spirit mountain" (?) or loosely translated as life long or lifetime mountain.

Just guessing though... I really read anything beyond a 50% certainty on the last character.

Are those characters around the edge?

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 8:16PM
raetaylor

Ive tried to take another shot. I hope this is a bit better... thanks for helping! I think around the edge is just a design.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 8:47PM
lazy_gardens

Gump's San Francisco was not just an importer, they were and still are a high-class department store. They might know what it was.

http://www.gumps.com/ and find a contact person

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 11:45AM
raetaylor

This was exactly the reason ive given this plate a closer look. I read a book published years ago called Gumps Treasure Trade by Carol Wilson. I was just hoping someone on this forum had run across another similar gump stamp. :)
I guess your right... the company would be a good start! Thanks!

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 1:06PM
Mikk

Dunno. Still too difficult to read, but looks like "meetinghouse mountain" (mountain is 100%), or could be "complete shelter mountain" (protective mountain).

Good luck with the Company. I'm not much on ceramics, but that's a good looking plate. :-) Rustic... earthy... Nice!

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 2:00PM
raetaylor

Thanks for all of your help Mikk! Im still waiting on Gumps to get back to me... I hope they do or this may just remain a mystery!

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 10:51AM
JuanitaWilkins

I just paid $22.87 for an iPad2-64GB and my girlfriend loves her Panasonic Lumix GF 1 Camera that we got for $38.76 there arriving tomorrow by UPS. I will never pay such expensive retail prices in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 40 inch LED TV to my boss for $675 which only cost me $62.81 to buy. Here is the website we use to get it all from, BidsGet.com

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 8:39PM
someone2010

Beautiful plate, from what I could tell from photograph.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
What is this?
Picked up at a thrift store. Any ideas?
CathyChex
Mystery Lamp Company
Hello. I am trying to find out information about the...
debragcar
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
Vase no marks new or old ?
I have this vase with no mark at bottom, it's real...
Dones
Why isn't furniture selling?
I've been trying to sell this 45" diameter vintage...
debodun
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™