help identify stunning desk

dogjugglerAugust 12, 2013

This desk has been in my family for at least three generations, maybe four. My family was from Georgia, so perhaps it was built somewhere near there. I have the original key, which I would think is pretty unusual!

Notice that the feet have "hair" carved behind the foot!
I doubt the upper unit with doors came with it. If you can identify that, you get bonus points!!!

Thanks in advance for your help! I'm wanting to sell it and need to figure out the value. If you know that too, please share here!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
My3dogs

This is a LONG shot, but I Googled 'Empire desk hairy claw feet'. I ended up at Ruby Lane, linked below.

But when I landed at Ruby Lane, the search term had changed to this - 'Furniture:Empire Style Mahogany Columns Triple Doors Hairy Paw Feet' .

It makes me think that perhaps this seller HAD one described like that and it sold. The seller is in Pensacola, FL, and it you go to Ruby Lane and that store, there is a link to contact them. Perhaps they can help ID yours and put a value on it?

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Roberts Antiques

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 7:35AM
My3dogs

Hi, dogjuggler! Just got your email and you are very welcome. I don't know if it will pan out, but it sure seemed odd that the search showed that when I got to Ruby Lane.

Love your user name; with three Brittanys, I feel like a dog juggler at times.

I found this post when someone from the Decorating board posted and asked if anyone could help you. Yours is one of the very few Gorgeous Items in the post below. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Post the gorgeous, goofy, and ghastly CL items here!

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 11:17AM
newhomebuilder

That was me. :) I am glad that 3dogs was able to help.

Based on the information she gave, I did my own search and used 'Empire Secretary Desk'. Came up with another Ruby Lane desk. Though not as fancy as yours, I was surprised to see that this desk looks like the secretary that my brother took possession from after my parents died last year, although not in as good of shape. I am sending this link to him, as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Secretary

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Help with age and materials of chair
I just purchased this chair, used, with the idea of...
mikejillnelson
Question about Eastlake washstand that has two types of drawer joints
Hi. I recently purchased an antique washstand that...
Patricia Oliver
Rosenthal China Pattern?
I stumbled upon this fine china bowl by Rosenthal,...
lana_roma
Help identifying a vase?
Does anyone know anything about this vase.It has no...
Melissa Mcintosh
Not sure what it is
Would like to restore this piece. Not sure of the age...
Hanna
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™