What do I ask for if I want a hood that looks like this pic.?

needinfo1February 15, 2013

It seems to me that this is the type of hood that is often installed under a cabinet. I kind of like this look rather than a chimney. But, I don't know what type it is and if this style is easy to find or install. We have a somewhat similar set up where it would be alone on a wall and then need to go up to the joists and make a right turn before running 5 or 6 feet to the outside. Thanks.

Modern Kitchen design by Other Metro Photographer Elad Gonen & Zeev Beech

And another one....

Modern Kitchen design by Boston Interior Designer Melissa Miranda Interior Design

This post was edited by needinfo1 on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 8:26

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

These are hoods designed for top interface with a duct, and look like wall mount hoods. That is, they are not suspended by the ducting or duct covering extensions as island hoods would be.

The duct parts may be separate ducts covered by fancy extension pieces, or what we see may actually be a fancy duct. It is hard to determine the details remotely. I don't own this type. Judging from the size, I would think a separate internal duct might be too small.

Please keep in mind that showroom kitchens often neglect the engineering aspects of ventilation and throw up whatever looks good, sometimes totally inadequate for the cooking possible on the monster range displayed (for example, the hoods in the photos above are too small and the ducts are too small), and sometimes there is no visible ventilation at all (the classic "poser" kitchen for people who have their meals catered, or have a separate kitchen operated by staff).

For various views of hoods and ducting, Wolf has a design guide that may be downloaded, and AJ Madison has a huge collection of images of hoods they sell. There is a finished kitchen website informally associated with the Garden Web's Kitchen Forum that will show and describe various choices people have made. Check out the Broan website, as well as those of more custom sources such as Abbaka, ModernAir, Independent, etc.

Anticipate that anything related to ventilation will take a lot longer to resolve than you can possibly imagine. :)


    Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 10:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


I've already figured out that ventilation is a very long and dark hole once one starts down this road.......

I've seen some pictures on AJ Madison from various manufacturers of just the hood parts that look similar to these, but typically they are called under cabinet. What I am trying to figure out is if there is another category that looks similar but is intended to be used with the visible vent ducting rather than just having it hidden in a cabinet.

And, other than the looks of the bottom hood itself, what makes these so different from the standard chimney hood? Many of those don't have particularly wide vent ducts either.
I'll check out the Wolf info too. Thanks again.

    Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 10:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Wall-mount. Not finished on the back. Attaches to the wall behind and not to anything above.

A 'under-cabinet mount' will not be 'finished' on top, and perhaps not the sides, and not the back. It attaches to the back and/or the cabinet above.

These look like they have a U-shaped metal cover over a round duct.

    Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 1:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

weedmeister--Thanks. Now I can at least make a fairly informed search with the right terms.

    Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 5:13PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
hood suggestions for 36" 6 burner bluestar?
i have searched til my fingers are blue for a 36"...
Bosch 500 Series
Any thoughts on the Bosch 500 evolution series? My...
Does Wolf M-Series Double Oven come with Temperature Probe?
If yes, great. If not, does anyone know how much the...
Griddle for Induction... HELP!
I did a search and read some old posts but is there...
smallest microwave (width) ever ? Please advise
I'm looking for the smallest microwave in terms of...
Sponsored Products
Mandalin Bamboo 98-inch Long Roman Shade
Living Room Orange Tiffany Art Floor Lamp
Neo-Industrial Satin Nickel One-Light Sconce
$69.90 | Bellacor
Darya Rugs Persian, Ivory, 5'1" x 6'2" M1000-16976
Darya Rugs
Brio Red and Green Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$323.00 | Bellacor
Hudson Street Pintuck Plush 3 Piece Complete Comforter Set - 2003804
$87.99 | Hayneedle
Textured Lines Rug 12' x 15' - BLUE
$5,899.00 | Horchow
At Home Designs Monterey Sofa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™