pendants in bathroom above medicine cabinet

liviarimonJanuary 1, 2013

My decorator suggested that we put mini pendants above the 30 by 30 inch triview recessed medicine cabinet.
I am concerned about the glare from the light and also if there would be enough light. Right now we have 2 high hats in a soffit and this is great. She suggested we get rid of the soffit and put a pendant in that space. It would look similar to this picture .
http://www.houzz.com/photos/71675/Powder-Bath-contemporary-powder-room-other-metro
Will there be enough light? Some of the pendants use Led lighting. Does that glare less than halogen? is the led light cold and too white?
Really like the idea and the decorator is usually right on target but when I go to the lighting store they all try to talk me out of it saying that pendant are usually at eye level not higher up.
My ceiling is 8 ft high.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

WIth an 8' ceiling, I'd say no. A pendant won't provide any more or less light than a standard above the mirror sconce. However, with only 8', there just isn't enough room for any dangle with the mirror placed properly. Even a small pendant won't drop down but maybe 6"-8" and that's not enough drama for the hassle of doing it.

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 8:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kmcg

If your current soffit lighting is great, I don't see any reason to change to pendants, as I doubt the light quality would change and the look won't be that striking because of the short drop.

To improve the quality of lighting at a mirror you would be better off with side-lighting. Overhead light is supposed to be less flattering and casts shadows that make it harder to apply makeup, etc.

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 1:24PM
More Discussions
Master Bath Reveal - Small space, big style
We don't have the bathroom shade installed yet, but...
piscesgirl
Vote Now on Color Plan 1, 2, or 3!
I have been planning the bathroom remodel for two years...
nancyinmich
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
New bath w ikea Sektion cabinets (image heavy)
After many long months, we have our bathroom addition...
amemm
Tall toilet brands?
Looking for suggestions, need taller than the standard...
jewelisfabulous
Sponsored Products
Crosley Butcher Block Top Kitchen Island with 24 in. Upholstered Saddle Stools -
$789.00 | Hayneedle
Antique Silver Trunk Cabinet
$374.99 | Dot & Bo
Ambella Home Collection - Enoteca Cabinet - 28012-530-001
Great Furniture Deal
Premium Furniture/Cabinet Polish - 16 oz.
Signature Hardware
Modern Flat TV Stand 9D
Italy Design
Diamond Sofa 64 Inch Glass Tower Display w/ 31x16 Storage in Red
Beyond Stores
Simplicity Small Mirror Cabinet Recessed Left Hinge
Lightology
Mangrove Side Chair
$629.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™