chapstick

cometfernOctober 23, 2003

Winter is coming and I am suffering from very dry lips. I've

been using softlips, but that is not working. Any suggestions? THANKS!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ponderinstuff

For me the trick is to use any product regularly. I always have something on my lips and they don't get chapped.

My favorites are chapstick (it isn't waxy like it use to be), and Bonny Bell. I keep a stick handy all the time.

Bookmark   October 23, 2003 at 10:38PM
rotny

Another one for Chapstick here. (me likey strawberry!) Carmex also works nicely. And if all else fails, you simply can't go wrong with good 'ol petroleum jelly - aka Vaseline.

Rotny

Bookmark   October 24, 2003 at 11:28AM
Jenny_IL

Comet have you tried exfoliating your lips? It might sound strange but I tried it after someone suggested it to me and it works great! I use a mild small grain face scrub like Aveeno Skin Brightening Daily Scrub but I'm sure any face scrub will help if you have the dry peeling winter lip skin. I also heard that baking soda with a little water is a good lip scrub. Just be sure not to scrub to hard or to much. I usually do it about twice a week.

I use Burt's Bees lip balm (it has to be in the tin!) daily and it is the best one I have found to keep my lips soft all year long.

Bookmark   October 26, 2003 at 1:56AM
mary_md7

I'm partial to Blistex, but I agree that Chapstick is much improved and is not so waxy as before.

Bookmark   November 4, 2003 at 11:15AM
Backintheyard

I always have a Blistex nearby year round. The LipTone version which is slightly blush in color gives a healthy, natural lip color and is great moisture. I apply it several times a day, being one that has a hard time keeping my lips from getting dry, especially in winter. There are 4 or 5 around all the time -- one in my purse, by the kitchen and bathroom sinks, and often in my jeans or skirt pocket. It's basically my "lipstick" unless I'm doing a total makeup job. Have to have it!!

Bookmark   November 5, 2003 at 12:09AM
Coosie

I am a Chapsticker too. Now for years I have searched for Strawberry. I remembered it from when I was a kid but never could find it. Cherry was just not the same for me lol. Well last weekend, I was pleased to find Strawberry at a CVS in town. Woo hoo! I bought two LOL.

Bookmark   November 5, 2003 at 10:45AM
xena_z4

I'm a Chapstick convert. I used to use those liquid "chapsticks", but when they evaporated, my lips were worse than ever. I now use Chapstick all year round. I rarely wear makeup, and Chapstick keeps my lips looking & feeling supple & soft. I, too, have several sticks: car, backpack, & just about every room in the house so I don't have to go searching for it. I really don't know what I'd do if I couldn't get any more. Use animal fat like the Eskimos? Hmmm... Doesn't sound all that sexy to me. :-P

Bookmark   November 5, 2003 at 10:52AM
ocbird

I'm addicted to Mint Chapstick -- sometimes hard to find!

A Chapstick trick --after you put on lipliner (if you use it) put on a very thin layer of chapstick and then lipstick over that. It fills in the little lines and makes your lips look smoother.

Bookmark   November 6, 2003 at 7:33PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Carmex in a tube.

Bookmark   November 7, 2003 at 8:51PM
cube1067

Lip Sheer by Essentiel Elements is surprisingly good to my lips. Never liked Chapstick, it dried my lips...but maybe it works better than it used to?

Bookmark   November 12, 2003 at 8:17PM
chinacat_sunflower

uh, folks- petroleum ANYTHING is hydrophilic to the point that it will absorb moisture out of your skin- it's meant as a barrier, not an emmoliant.

any oil you would use on your salad would work better...

Burt's Bees makes some great stuff in stick and pots with all natural ingredients.

the Aura Cacia stick with Carrot Seed Oil tastes a little funny, but it's the best one I've found to work not only on my DH's lips... but on the old frostbite scar on my mom's hand that likes to crack and split ever winter... last year, it didn't for the first time since she was like 9 years old.

Bookmark   December 30, 2003 at 12:19PM
yellowhair

I just use plain ole Vaseline. And, IMHO, it does act as a barrier and an emollient. It keeps the cold air away from the lips, preventing further cracking and peeling.

Last night I was cleaning some shoes with Vaseline, rubbed some into my callous on my thumb (used to write a lot) and today it's greatly improved.

Bookmark   December 31, 2003 at 6:10PM
tangerine_z6

Blistex. Can't wait to try a Chapstick again after reading these posts...it was so dry that it actually hurt to apply!

Bookmark   January 1, 2004 at 12:04PM
rider

If you want something without petroleum, try Unpetrolium Jelly - at Whole Foods or health food markets.

Bookmark   January 1, 2004 at 12:24PM
ruthann

I have to put my 2 cents worth in here. I use Aquafor. A dermatologist recommended it to me, and I love it. It is an over the counter item, but I get it from the pharmacy (behind the counter), where they only charge me $2 for a 2 ounce jar. ($6 otherwise). Works good, but I wish I had a small flat container to put some in to keep in my pocket. RAA

Bookmark   February 9, 2004 at 12:37AM
weed30

Ruthann, many places sell small decorative tins that you could use. Or just buy an inexpensive container of lipgloss at Walgreen's, throw away the contents and put your stuff in there. They have some small plastic screw types by the LipSmackers I think.

Bookmark   February 13, 2004 at 11:53AM
yellowhair

Well, I'm going to have to back down on what I said about the Vaseline----after several uses---I switched to something I picked up at Wal-mart---Banana Boat with Aloe Vera and Vitamin E.

Since I've started walking more, even in 2 degree weather, my lips were chapped all the time. This product has really helped. I've also started cleaning/washing my lips more---like when I wash my face----I clean my lips.

Bookmark   February 14, 2004 at 10:54AM
lunamoon

I just bought Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm and really like it. Another favorite is Badger Balm.

Bookmark   February 20, 2004 at 12:10AM
stargazer_1118

Try the lipmedic website. You'll go crazy trying to decide on which ones to buy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lipmedic Lip Balms

Bookmark   May 27, 2004 at 7:45AM
chinacat_sunflower

:) melaleuca brand 'sunshades' lip balm in vanilla...

I'm serious. in the month since I got it in a sample pack, I've found that I need to apply it less frequently than I have any other lip balm...

it actually seems to be improving the condition of my lips-
enough that my husband has commented on it!

Bookmark   July 8, 2004 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Proper wedding attire
We are invited to my Fiance's nieces wedding in November...
arizonarose
Skin Health Maintenance
Hi, I am 30 and need advice on my skin care/skin health...
alexander123
Hair cut advice
Have any of you had a V cut or A U cut on the back...
arizonarose
Eyeliner that will not smear? Have oily skin
Is there any other poster that has oily eye lids? I...
colorcrazy
Facial Hair from upper lip
Hi All upper lip I have an embrassing problem with...
Angel1977
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™