8x7 Room- Basic Layout Help

Elm110January 25, 2014

We are redoing our master bath and removing the unused whirlpool tub to put in a shower. (1) 7' seems like a huge space for a shower in our small home, but to keep expenses down, we were hoping to keep the plumbing layout the same. (2) I'm concerned, too, that a shower door (frameless ideally) across the 7' span won't have room to open given the location of the door to the bathroom. We can't do a pocket door, so is there room for a barn door style on the exterior of the room? The door is 32"W and there's just 32" to one side of it. Any ideas? I'm new to this. Here are pics.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Babka NorCal 9b

You have enough length in the shower to skip the door completely and just have a partial frameless glass panel about 4 feet long, giving you 3 feet to enter the shower. OR you could change the swing of the wood door and have it open into the other room instead of the bath area.

-Babka

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 5:59PM
darleneac59

I agree with Babka. It would be the perfect space for a walk in shower. Look on Houzz or pintrest for some ideas. Good luck.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 7:57PM
raehelen

Personally, I would stick to a 5 foot shower, and use the extra 2 feet for storage. Then you'd be able to find standard sized shower doors/base, and gain useful space.
Here's a pic from Houzz, though I wouldn't leave the door space open, I like a nice warm shower, and often find doorless showers drafty.

Contemporary Bathroom by Mountain View General Contractors Harrell Remodeling

Eclectic Bathroom by Brooklyn Artists & Artisans Green Mountain Construction & Design

This one is not built in, but gives you the idea,

Traditional Bathroom by Houston Design-Build Firms Allegro Builders

30 inch or more deep space can be too deep, so you could use the back part for a niche in shower?

Transitional Bathroom

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 5:58PM
Elm110

I think we're going to have to put in a tub for family reasons. I did find some standard tubs that are 5.5', leaving me 1.5' to put in shelving/narrow closet for storage. Anyone have a preference among Americh Turo or Hydro System Sydney or Jason? The cast iron tubs (Bellweather) are lower but they have that nonskid surface that is so hard to keep clean...

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
Trying to reconfigure master bath to include washer dryer
How does this layout look? how could I make this space...
cinnamon01
Family of 5 - only 1 1/2 bathrooms. What would you do?
We are an active family of 5 and our bathroom situtation...
rebeccamomof123
extra tile decisions
It turns out I have more grey crackle tile than I needed...
edwina 1330
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™