How hard is it to take in a dress?

gratefulbreeOctober 23, 2008

Hello! I found my "dream dress" to wear on a special occasion that's about 7 months away. I want to go ahead and purchase it because I'm afraid to wait and then it's out of stock or something. The thing is I have been losing weight at a fairly steady pace. I expect to have lost another 20 lbs by then. I'm too afraid to buy the dress too small in case I don't lose the weight, but how hard is it to take in in case I need to? The dress is silk with boning in the bodice. Maybe I go just one size too small? HELP!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
centralcacyclist

Yikes, that might be a labor intensive alterations job. Show a photo of it to a dressmaker, not the alterations person at the dry cleaner. If you can show a photo of the inside of the dress, even better. Is it at a store that will do the alterations for you? If so, they will know.

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 2:06PM
dilly_dally

If it has boning in it it is going to be a huge expense to alter to such an extreme, and will look like carp. I know that this is your 'dream dress' but wait until you are near the date of the special occasion and then go shopping. You may have lost even more than 20 pounds by then. Or maybe none.

Your event is in seven months and you will want something in trendy spring colors in May, not the fall colors they are showing now, or the heavier weight fabrics in fall dresses.

If you do lose weight you may not like this particular dress style on your new physique - even altered to your new size.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 1:54AM
carla35

I agree with dilly... dream dresses are generally going to change with weight especially a loss of 20 lbs.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
Wigs
I have decided to purchase a couple Paula Young wigs,...
lucillle
Suggestions for good hair cutting cape
I have a hair cutting kit which I use to cut my husband's...
peabody1
testing
Spirea reverting.
catkin
What is a good face cream to use,that WORKS?
I think I've tried every brand of face creams,night...
Dotty9
Proper wedding attire
We are invited to my Fiance's nieces wedding in November...
arizonarose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™