can small chips on crystal be filed down?

ginny20August 24, 2012

I have some 25+ year old Mikasa crystal wine glasses. They're neither antique nor valuable, but I like them. I'd like to be able to use them for entertaining, but I don't have enough left without small chips at the edge of the bowl. The crystal is very thin on these, and they chipped easily. I'm trying to see if I can just get more at Replacements.com, but if not, is there a file of some kind you can use to just smooth out the edge a little? Is this something only a pro should attempt?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Yes....I have never done it....but I know you can take them "somewhere" and have the chip filed off.
When you are looking to buy a "set" of antique crystal goblets....always line them up to see if they ae the same height....many times one or 2 will have been ground down 1/4 inch or so to eliminate chips.
I have heard of people doing it themselves with wet garnet sand paper.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 5:11PM
ginny20

Thanks, Lindac. Since I can't use them as is, it might be worth it to try one and see.

I didn't know that about the varying height in sets. Thanks for that info, too.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 5:38PM
sunnyca_gw

I've used wet & dry sandpaper(it's dark grey/black color) & wet it or some emeryboards(not metal ones) that are very fine work well as you can gently pull back & forth until smooth. I live in earthquake country so that is how we handle saving our treasures from the trash can. That way you can use some lightly damaged things or at least not cut your fingers on grandma's 100 yr old family treasure.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 12:28AM
ginny20

Thanks, Sunnyca. You mean like nail emeryboards? I have those around anyway.

Wow, I never thought of that advantage of living in a snow zone instead of an earthquake zone. A blizzard that leaves 3 ft of snow is a pain, but it's never broken any of my glasses. That's part of the difference between an inconvenience and a disaster, I guess.

Hope you stay earthquake-free.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 11:20AM
Fori is not pleased

I chose earthquakes. =)

I've got some old chipped crystal as well. Maybe I'll try this!

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 1:13PM
ginny20

Well, there is the point that while you may or may not have a quake in a given year, snow is guaranteed for me every winter. Unless we don't do anything about global warming. Then Upstate NY will become a tropical zone, and we can scrap our snowblower.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 6:07PM
cloudy_christine

I have very fine file made just for crystal. It's very easy to use on tiny chips so the glass is safe to drink from.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 6:24PM
cloudy_christine

This is it.

Here is a link that might be useful: crystal file on Amazon

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 6:33PM
ginny20

That looks great, cloudy christine. Thanks. The price of that file is about the same as replacing one glass. Worth a try, since I need to either replace or repair 5. And I still don't know if Replacements even has my pattern.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 8:41PM
cloudy_christine

You're welcome. I should have mentioned that you have to do the filing under water. I think mine came with that direction.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 8:06AM
sunnyca_gw

Ginny, Yes you can use a regular cardboard ?? file but I had some I got at beauty supply that have a foam core in center & then 1 side is very fine & other is rougher, I use them to file off rough edge on painting projects or between coats on small projects. Mine are 7 in. long & 3/4 in wide but a narrower 1 works best on glass rims. I will take earthquakes any day over floods & 10 ft of snow. I remember walking home from babysitting with huge walls of snow on both sides of road & in spring a couple of times the lake flooded & we rowed down to elderly neighbor lady to take her food & check on her. We passed food to her through a window. Our house was much higher but when I was at college that spring had a nasty storm that took out 1/3 of our front yard. My dad got discarded bedsprings & other huge pieces of metal & made a wall to hold the rest of yard & then covered it with graduated concrete, soil & stone down to lake. I had nightmares until they moved out here.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 1:17AM
javaandjazz

I have used that crystal file on several old kitchenware glass baking dishes and old depression to smooth the chips out. It takes the sharpess out of the chip.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 6:30PM
sheilajoyce_gw

I have used very fine black emery boards to smooth edges of glassware I wanted to keep. Go slowly and use very, very fine emery or sandpaper, not the regular brown emery board.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
help identifying antique table
I found this table at an estate sale for 45 dollars....
moya0311
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
Japanese Vase
I just got this vase at street sale would like to know...
Dones
Assistance regarding Lofisa Porcelain
Can anyone shed some light on this piece? I bought...
imaztribabe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™