Paraben

arlinnOctober 29, 2005

Does anyone know about the paraben scare? I think it's a preservative used in cosmetics/creams/lotions. Supposedly it causes breast cancer. Does anyone know if this is for real? I've been checking labels and it's in practically everything.....even products at the health food store.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

I have googled around looking for some info about this. Does it have an another word that goes with it, like paraben something-or-other?

Where did you hear of the danger?

I did find a little info, but it was by companies selling their own products, so their stories aren't to be trusted.

Bookmark   October 31, 2005 at 7:26PM
socks

Well, I did find this link below, and it provides a little information, and still reads like an advertisement. One thing the article reports which is worrisome is the lack of regulation of the products that go into cosmetics, the stuff we smear on our faces every day.

Here is a link that might be useful: parabens

Bookmark   October 31, 2005 at 7:31PM
Gina_W

That article is a press release written by a commercial firm wishing to scare people into using their products and not others. It's despicable. The ingredients in cosmetics are in fact, very regulated and most have been tested ad nauseum.

In fact, for example, many cosmetics companies can truthfully claim "no animal testing" because the ingredients they use have been in use so long that they've been animal tested many, many years ago before animal rights became in vogue. So, yes, it's true - Company A didn't test their ingredients on animals - because many companies years ago already have. How convenient.

Be aware that much of what you read and much of what is on TV news is just PR passed directly from the companies to you - unedited and unresearched.

Bookmark   October 31, 2005 at 11:01PM
socks

If you really want to research parabens, you can go to the link below and find the parabens product you want. These are the Materials Safety Data Sheets and would require a free registration to look at the sheets which interest you.

Here is a link that might be useful: MSDS

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 10:17AM
Gina_W

Here's a paragraph about paraben from a source I use a lot - Paula Begoun's site. Yes, she sells her own stuff too. But this ingredients dictionary on her site is great:

Cosmetics Cop

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
Can a fiftyish woman have oily skin?
What exactly is oily skin? I have an oily T zone, doesn't...
bossyvossy
where Cathy Daniels clothing sold...?
I have a hard time getting clothes to fit well &...
vieja_gw
twisted silver chain
When I was in Poland a friend gave me a silver chain...
bleusblue
Skimmer shoes....socks, knee-his, or bare feet?
I know it's a weird question...but ...I hate wearing...
marc_ia
Proper wedding attire
We are invited to my Fiance's nieces wedding in November...
arizonarose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™