5'x8' bathroom, remove the tub, what size shower should I choose?

janesylviaJanuary 7, 2014

We are having a bathtub converted to a shower stall. The bathroom is 5'x8'. The contractor is going to make the shower stall base. It would be 5' long. Would a depth of 32" including the step or 26" without including the step be enough?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjhockeyfan325

We have 32" included the step, which is about 4" wide, and it's the narrowest I'd want it to be.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 4:44PM
lotteryticket

Agree that 32" is about as narrow I would want, too.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 5:54PM
raehelen

Hi Jane, Any reason your step is going to be 6" wide? I just measured both of mine, and they are 4". Your glass will probably be halfway on the step, so you should gain another 2-3 " of elbow space. If I had a choice, I'd rather the 2" be inside my shower, rather than used on the step/curb.

32" is enough.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 6:19PM
Anna_in_TX

One thing that I'm going to do in my narrow shower to get elbow room is to build a long shelf. This will help out when shampooing hair, etc. The following picture may not be your style, but you can browse Houzz and find lots of examples.

Contemporary Bathroom by Bloomfield Hills Kitchen & Bath Designers Xstyles Bath + More

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 7:56PM
janesylvia

sjhockeyfan, thank you very much for sharing your shower stall's information. So your shower base's width from wall to the step's inner edge is 28". What is your step made up of --- 2 bullnoses or tile and metal trims?

Lotteryticket, thanks for your information.

raehelen, appreciate your help. My contractor said with two bullnoses of 3" width, the step would be 6" wide. For 4" step, 32" wide shower stall would have a base space of 28" (32 - step width 4). But if I have 6" step, in order to have the base space of 28"(not including step width), I need to have a total width of 34" including step (28+6). So does your rectangular shower stall have a width of 28" not including the step? What are your steps made up of---2 bullnoses or tile and metal trims?

Anna-in-TX, thank you very much for sharing the picture. It's a smart option.

This post was edited by janesylvia on Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 2:23

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 2:10AM
raehelen

Jane,

My shower bases are cultured marble, so they are just a solid surface 4" wide. Instead of using bullnose tiles, you could use a solid marble or granite piece, something to match your vanity counter? Not sure how it would look, but your tiler could also cut down the bullnose tiles to 2" each instead of 3". Is there a tile that has a bullnose on both sides? My base is 36" wide with a 4" curb, so base space is 32", but in reality, 34" since glass is in middle of curb, so gives me another 2".

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 3:50AM
sjhockeyfan325

My shower floor is tile, and the three surfaces of the curb is marble tile that matches the floor in the rest of the bathroom. Here's a picture. (Sorry it's so big, I couldn't figure out how to make it smaller).

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
numbersjunkie
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
American Standard Town Square Toilet
Does anyone here have the American Standard Town Square...
mrsdindinbaby
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
Show me pictures of your tile 'rug'
We'd like to do this and are looking for design ideas....
kate38
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™