Garage Planning

MacyPAJanuary 31, 2012

I asked this on the garage board, but that isn't used much.

The house I want to build has a two car side entry garage. I would like to add a third garage facing the street, so the front of the garage would be at the back end of the driveway. Can someone give me an idea how much space I need to allow between the garages? How much behind the side entry garages and how much in front of the third garage?

It would be kind of like the garages in this plan, though the house would be different.

http://www.floorplans.com/plan-detail/AFLFPW23919/three-bedroom-french-country

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bdpeck-charlotte

You don't need much space in between. Our garage setup is almost identical to yours. We did 3 single garage doors, 9' wide, 8' tall. Each has 1' of brick in between, on the corner, 1' each side. We even have a wing wall on the front of the house shielding the 3rd garage from the street, and we can get in and out fairly well. We have a 20' square pad in front of the garages, extending past the third, and then down 10' past the front of the 3rd toward the backyard. Allowing a 4th car, or a turnaround.

One thing I'll mention is that you need 2' of clearance on each side of the car. So on that 3rd garage, you want 12-13' between the foundation walls. We have about 10', and it's not enough to get in and out on both sides.

We oversized our garages big time, but have a couple of quirks with not enough space to open doors.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
Ventless fireplace
I know there is a fireplace section on the forum, but...
okla1706
Well Water
For those of you with well water only. What systems...
Renee0829
Induction cooktops.... Do you have one?
I am doing research on what is out there as far as...
blandinababes
Curtain height?
My walkout basement ceilings are 9 feet. I like curtains...
mattypies
Savings - basement bar with laminate
Working on finding ways to get closer to our original...
Mini Soda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™