Grecian Formula Equivalent For Women?

housefulSeptember 18, 2011

Hello, I have been using Grecian Formula for awhile now and I love it! My hair is so soft and the color gradually fades away with no obvious line at the roots.

The problem is the colors are limited. My hair is naturally curly and dry, which is why I like the semi-permanent color which doesn't strip the hair. It is a very dark brown with natural chestnut highlights. I'd like to try something in a chestnut color. Are all over-the-counter brands for women considered semi-permanent? Is it only the salon coloring that strips the hair? Any suggestions for what will work for me?

Thanks all!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michelle_phxaz

The colors sold at the stores are both permanent and semi-permanent. None strip your hair unless they are a lighter color and you want to go blonde, the lightening agent will strip your hair.

Just look at the boxes and see is they are permananent or semi-permanent.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 7:59PM
houseful

Thanks Michelle. I do want one that leaves my hair really soft, although I assume they all do to some extent. Do you know which may be the best? L'oreal is one that I am leaning toward.

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 11:53PM
michelle_phxaz

Others should pipe in here, I don't color my hair anymore!

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 6:34AM
houseful

LOL! I swore I never would, but all the gray is around my hairline. Because my hair is curly, the gray hairs tend to stick out and be very noticeable.

I've been doing some research and I realize that if it says "lasts 28 washes" or something like that, then it's probably what I want.

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 7:30AM
jomuir

the developer is what really smooths those wild greys. I don't color anymore either, but when I did, and mentioned it to my hairstylist, she said I could add a capful of developer to my shampoo in my hand, mix it in and it would help smooth my greys in between colorings. I used to do that occasionally but can't recall if it really helped or not....

I looked at a book about grey hair when I stopped coloring, and the author said the main thing is to remember grey hair is DRY hair. Always condition after every wash, it really helps, and deep condition weekly. I also use gel or mousse most times I wash my hair, and when I don't I notice more wild greys. I try to always do a good blowout after washing, too. Drying your and leaving it even a little damp can cause frizz.

It took me a year and a half to grow my color out, and I'm so glad I did. I saw a picture of myself with colored hair, and it looked so off. I was at the point I didn't know what color my hair really was, or how grey I was. There was also that haystack effect from years of coloring!

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
Wigs
I have decided to purchase a couple Paula Young wigs,...
lucillle
Help settle bet--free shampoo. & style on the line
My stylist swears hair is alive and I contend hair...
bossyvossy
Facial Hair from upper lip
Hi All upper lip I have an embrassing problem with...
Angel1977
buying named fragrances on-line ... risky?
I find fragrances I like are not popular sometimes...
vieja_gw
Skimmer shoes....socks, knee-his, or bare feet?
I know it's a weird question...but ...I hate wearing...
marc_ia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™