Kohler frameless shower door

mary_md7January 19, 2014

I'm seeing pretty large estimates for custom frameless doors, but then saw this Kohler online at Lowe's. The photo looks like it has a header, but it's described as frameless. Perhaps it's just the opening they are showing? Anybody familiar with the Kohler stock doors?

http://tinyurl.com/krkmh2x

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mary_md7

Sorry for the dumb question. I see that sliders have to have some sort of top bar. Bummer. DH is 6"6" and we don't want him to have to duck under a metal bar. With out configuration, I don't think we can do a pivot.

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 5:43PM
writersblock

There are frameless doors, but that means the door isn't framed in metal like older sliding shower doors. They all have to have something to slide on. Here's the Kohler Levity, which has a more up to date kind of look, and you can find variations on this style from many makers, but there's no getting away from something to support the sliders.

This post was edited by writersblock on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 11:54

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 11:53AM
Anna_in_TX

You could do a Basco Roda 922 French Door - available online or from your local plumbing/glass/hardware store.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 3:21PM
lotteryticket

Yes, to slide they have to hang on something. But to swing they only need to be hinged to something on the side just like any door. I have seen some doors that swing in and out which might be helpful depending on how the space is configured.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 3:28PM
petepie

I had the levity doors installed this fall. I really like it, it has a lighter, more modern look without a heavy frame.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 1:19AM
flora2

Petepie, you have been living with these doors for a few months now--I have been looking at these to finish my bathroom remodel. Do you still like them? Is there anything I should be aware of? Thanks a lot
Writersblock, Do you know of any other manufacturer for this type of door? Thanks

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:39PM
jterrilynn

If it were me I would get a few more estimates from glass shower door companies. A lot of times the area is not plumb (most of the time) and you need it exact as you do not want a glass door grinding against glass, or gaps or other strangeness. They can build you any sort of framless you want. IâÂÂm all for DIYâÂÂs but left that for the professionals on my last house bath remodel. They come out and measure first and build your glass surround/door from that. There is a huge difference from one estimate to the next and of course it also depends on the thickness of the glass you want and if you want upgraded hardware or accessories. We ended up going with a company that had a discount in a mail flyer. Turned out to be pretty inexpensive and worked and looked great.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 8:18

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 8:15AM
flora2

JTerrilynn, Thanks for the response. This is not a DIY project, i know my limitations. I like the syle of the door and I am looking not to spend a fortune.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 10:27AM
jterrilynn

IsnâÂÂt it amazing how much this stuff can cost? How can the same thickness and same hardware and same design vary up to $1,100 difference in estimates in the same area? I think this is why those of us who are cost conscious go slightly blingy during remodels.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 11:23AM
pprioroh

we have the hinged glass door, with fixed glass in front 1/2. We do get water splashes through the door gap, which has caused some degradation of the wood trim near the floor in that area.

We love the step - in height and look, but wish there were better sealing - pay attention here depending on how big your shower is and how far away the water /splash source is.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
Help locating a Powder Bath sink, please!
We are in the final days of a year long remodel only...
soonermagicmama
Need advice on shower valve location!!!
We are considering a fixed wall or glass divider for...
aboutdabass
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Shower Size OK?
We're in the middle of a renovation of our master suite...
ntrainer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™