under cabinet microwave or microwave drawer?

amyboFebruary 19, 2012

I only have room for around 30" upper cabinet that is next to the frig and dishwasher. There are other cabinets that are further away close to the cook top but they are not as convenient for every day cups and plates.

Option A - It would looks prettier to have regular wall cabinet between my frig and window and use a microwave drawer under the counter. This would allow me to put cups and plates in the upper cabinet which I probably need more often than the microwave.

Option B - mount microwave under the cabinet, the cabinet above microwave becomes too high to be useful for every day cups and plates. In this case, I would have to put cups and plates in the drawers under the counter.

I am leaning towards option A since I need plates/cups more often than microwave. However, I am not sure how annoy it is to bend down to put plates in the microwave drawer (I am 5'5" and husband 6'2"). I also not sure if soup would get spilled when I open/close the drawer. We do use microwave a lot of heating up drinks and soups.

What's your opinion?

Thanks,

Amy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
breezygirl

Drawer. I've been using mine for a few months. I'm 5'8"ish and don't find the height to be a problem. It's really not a bend to get in it, maybe a small lean when picking up something heavy and hot. I'm easily annoyed, but this movement doesn't bother me at all. I like being able to look straight down on my food or bev rather than peering up and in on my toes.

I have the Sharp drawer that opens/closes with push buttons or with a gentle tug/push to get the door started. I haven't spilled anything in it with either method. The closing is fairly gentle so as not to cause spillage.

Initially, I resisted the idea of the drawer and couldn't figure out the appeal. Now that I'm using it, I really like it. I bought mine as a refurb from a reputable ebay seller. Saved hundreds!

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 4:04AM
wizard19

We have a Sharp microwave drawer in our island and love it.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 11:41AM
laxsupermom

Love our microwave drawer! I'm 5'6, hubby is 5'11. We don't find it difficult to use. The opening/closing action is gentle and doesn't soup around, and I love that I don't have to remove a dish to stir it(melting chocolate, etc.) I can stir from above.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 7:32AM
francoise47

I was originally very skeptical about the new-fangled microwave drawer concept
and didn't think it would be worth the extra cost.
But I decided to give it a try with my kitchen reno
because it solved a number of layout problems.
Guess what? It turns out it is one of my favorite features of my new kitchen.
It is very convenient.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 11:34AM
klcardella

Love our microwave drawer! I am 5'10", no problem. Very convenient, and everyone comments on how nice it looks.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
New KitchenAid launch in April 2015
Hi, everyone. Sorry if this has already been discussed....
kiwigem
Best customer service for wall ovens?
I posted this comment to an older thread lamenting...
Mrs. Porchman
HELP PLEASE New Dacor range to replace old DCS (Fisher Paykel) range?
We moved into a house that has a 9 year old DCS by...
princesspronoid
36" Blue star range- tight on space and can't decide on one electric o
Doing a kitchen renovation and have space for a 36"...
nismo99
Can you cook a good beef filet in a Miele combi steam oven?
I spent some time at an appliance dealer yesterday...
barbja99
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™