Karakul manufacturer

MikkAugust 20, 2011

Just curious if anyone has every heard of Karakul before? We've been going through my grandmothers trunks and such and found what appears to be a vintage 100% wool blanket produced by Karakul. I'm familiar with Karakul sheep, but not a manufacturer by that name. Possibly German?

We don't have any ties to Germany, so I have no idea how she might have come into possession of it, and the tag is actually in English.

It reads:

Life Time

100%

Karakul

"HAIR"

Then the picture of a sheep.

We could take a picture, but don't know if it's worth the bother. Just curious about the company origin.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I'm fairly sure that the manufacturer isn't named "karakul"....that that word describes the wool that was used for weaving. It's similar to a label that might say 100% lambs wool, or 100% mohair.
If you didn't know the wool from a karakul sheep has a unique hair-like quality and felts rather easily.
On the outside chance that you doubt my knowledge, and would email me again I am posting a site for people not too far from me who raise karakul sheep and weave and sell their wool as well as sell roving and bats to other spinners.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Karakul sheep

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 4:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mikk

Makes good sense. The only thing I could find on cursory searches was that the Karakul sheep orginiated from Germany and sprang forth through Nambia. It was the only tag and so prominent that I had to wonder if it was the manufacturer.

Unfortunately, it's probably going to be one of those 'gotta match the tag layout' deals to determine the maker, hu.

And no.. I didn't know about any unique characteristics. It does feel uncommonly soft, dense, and felt like. I know as much about wool blankets (with the exception of Pendleton) as I know about ceramics. :-)

Thank for the info.

Bookmark   August 20, 2011 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
Help identifying a vase?
Does anyone know anything about this vase.It has no...
Melissa Mcintosh
Antimassacars and tablecloth
I found a cache of embroidered and lace furniture accessories...
debodun
Help Glassware/Stemware Experts
Please help....do any glassware experts out there know...
lbachara11
Walnut Art Nouvaux Sideboard Advice Needed
Howdy, First post from a long-time lurker. We purchased...
markwingalls
Sponsored Products
Winners Only Topaz 57 in. Computer Desk - Cinnamon - GT257CF
$886.00 | Hayneedle
Mini Sandwich Square Flushmount by Vibia
$480.00 | Lumens
Remer by Nameeks LR13US Single Hole Bathroom Faucet - REMER LR13US
$239.00 | Hayneedle
ALFI AB1129 Tall Square Single Hole Bathroom Faucet - AB1129-PC
$164.00 | Hayneedle
Beat Light Brass Pendant - Tall by Tom Dixon
$535.00 | Lumens