Split Ends: Split Ender???

BackintheyardAugust 13, 2003

Have any of you seen this??? Last night on one of the middle-of-the-night infomercials, I saw this hair appliance called the Split-Ender. It looks like one of the electric heated hair straighteners that were (are?) on the market some years ago. You pull it through one section of hair at a time, and as the hair passes through it, only the split ends are snipped off--even those that are on shorter hairs. The result is all the dry splits are snipped, but the length of the strand of hair is virtually unchanged. It sells for about $60, I think (I was half asleep), and just seems too good to be true. Have any of you tried it? Seen it? (Or was I dreaming?) Of course, I don't remember the brand name, wouldn't you know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Now.......
This is something you saw on an "infomercial"?.....Middle of the night???....Not prime time?
Yeah.....sure!
Why would you think that would be something to look for?...
Try scissors and a mirror....or a decent stylist.
Linda C

Bookmark   August 16, 2003 at 11:23PM
darkeyedgirl

I'd rather pay my trusted hair stylist the $10 and get it done right, than trust some machine.

Bookmark   August 17, 2003 at 8:39AM
Backintheyard

Thanks for the replies! You've both had the same basic impression I had. For one thing, it would just be too good to be true. And $60, no less. I agree those late night infomercials should be a red flag to be skeptical. It will probably be $19.95 ! before long.

Bookmark   August 17, 2003 at 8:08PM
Vickey__MN

I saw this infomercial this morning. Must have a REALLY sharp cutting edge to get the split end with-out splitting it more. I doubt it works, but it was an interesting concept.

Vickey-MN

Bookmark   August 19, 2003 at 11:44AM
chinacat_sunflower

the mechanics of it seem rather sketchy... and that price tag's nothing to sneeze at.

if they were that good, stylists would use them, and they wouldn't be marketting them to the general public that way.

Bookmark   August 19, 2003 at 2:35PM
NewYorkGardener

I can't believe how much people have to say about a product they've never tried or even held in their hands. Not all infomercials are bad, most maybe are... I've ordered proactiv from informercial and I was really surprized by the quality of the product and found it well worth the price. It didn't completely clear up my skin, but it did make it look better which nothing has been able to do. Its also cheaper to sell stuff through infomercial than through salons or stores and easier to make more money.

My sister is a stylist and she says she would never use it on her customers, because she said if it did work, her customers would catch on that this is something they could do very easily themselves. That is, if it works... Did anyone actually buy it yet?

Bookmark   August 30, 2003 at 11:53AM
Angel1977

I just placed an order and I keep you up dated

Bookmark   August 31, 2003 at 3:50PM
Angel1977

well I just got my spilt ender and it is a waste of money I have just send my back for a full refund. I did not notice any different it is best to use for people with really BAD SPLIT ENDS THAT goes a long way up your hair, not good for people with just new split ends. The best thing to do is go you your salon and have tham cut of because split ender is a waste of money.

Bookmark   September 6, 2003 at 10:00AM
Backintheyard

Angel, thanks a bunch for doing the field research! Not surprising, I guess, but it would have been a real 'miracle' product if it worked. Makes me wonder what other products out there, that make such super promises, also turn out to be duds.
BITY

Bookmark   September 6, 2003 at 7:41PM
rukiya09_yahoo_com

i bought it and am not happy am sending it back for a full refund it a waste of money i got more split ends when i sat in front of the mirror with a scissors not worth it at all

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 12:06AM
More Discussions
Coconut Oil
I have been hearing so much abut the benefits of Coconut...
mizscarlett2001
Help settle bet--free shampoo. & style on the line
My stylist swears hair is alive and I contend hair...
bossyvossy
Skimmer shoes....socks, knee-his, or bare feet?
I know it's a weird question...but ...I hate wearing...
marc_ia
Can a fiftyish woman have oily skin?
What exactly is oily skin? I have an oily T zone, doesn't...
bossyvossy
Facial Hair from upper lip
Hi All upper lip I have an embrassing problem with...
Angel1977
Sponsored Products
Winslet Duvet Cover - Super Queen
FRONTGATE
Athena Pussywillow Gray and Frappe Square: 8 Ft. Rug
$722.40 | Bellacor
Mahogany Round Conversation Table
$329.99 | zulily
Afina Signature Traditional Lighted Double Door 24W x 34H in. Recessed Medicine
Hayneedle
Steve Silver Silverado Ottoman in Caramel Brown Leather
Beyond Stores