Rinse agent in dishwasher safe for health?

lazycookFebruary 7, 2010

I've been using a rinse agent in my Bosch dishwasher to aid in the drying. I notice when I pour water into a glass the water bubbles. I think it is the rinse agent that cause the bubbles. If I rinse the glass before pouring water in it the bubbles do not appear. I don't like the idea that I may be ingesting the rinse agent. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weissman

You may be using too much rinse aid. Your DW should have a way to turn it down a little. I don't think it's harmful, but I wouldn't want to drink it either.

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 12:32PM
dadoes

Rinse aid is dispensed into the final rinse, so it stands to reason that there'll be some slight residue of it left on the dishes. Rinse aid is not a new product, it has been on the market since the 1960s, if not even earlier. I've read of people expressing individual concern but I don't recall any specific testing reports that confirm it's hazardous unless used improperly or ingested directly in quantity. The typical dose released into a dishwasher is very small. The bottle of JetDry that I have warns of possible eye or skin irritation ... but a bar of soap can do that. I imagine pouring lemonade into one's eyes wouldn't feel very nice, but people drink it!

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 2:58PM
plllog

Rinse aid is a surfactant--it is soap.

A little won't hurt you, but it shouldn't be enough to bubble. I won't use the stuff because I can taste it, but I've never seen it bubble. It sounds to me like something isn't working right on your DW or you have extreme water (too soft or something).

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 4:20PM
tessatune_yahoo_ca

I just got a new dishwasher, and I notice the same thing as lazycook. I don't like the idea that my water bubbles, so I rinse first. I am not going to refill the rinse agent well after it's empty.

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 12:32AM
More Discussions
Best place to buy appliance parts
I have a GE range (6 yrs of age) for which I need parts....
puzzlefan
good experience with AJ Madison
Got a really good deal on $5k worth of Bosch appliances...
logastellus
New Bertazzoni Induction Range?
I just saw a press release from Bertazzoni about a...
ltislander
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
24" refrigerator. Liebherr, Fagor, LG, etc?
We live in Boston. We are in the market for 24"....
ttkogi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™