36" range hood for my blue star (budget!)

EpicureEmilyFebruary 16, 2014

Looking for help, I'm so overwhelmed!
So we are doing a major kitchen remodel and have a tight budget. My HUGE splurge was a 36" Blue Star (that I got for 20% off!!)
Now I need a hood...I am shocked by the costs of these things...
Here is my issues:
-I cannot go larger than 36", I know bigger would be better, but I'm stuck with what I have
-It needs to be wall mount (not insert/under cabinet)
-because the ceiling is open at this point, it can be any vent type

Ok...here's the challenge...anything with 800-1200 cfm under $1K that's worth buying?

Thanks in advance....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Zivman

It isn't all about CFMs... doubt you realize how much ~1000cfms are. the guy that helped me install my hood said most commercial units he does for taco bell are ~700 cfm.... that said, CFM isn't all that "standard" when it comes to real world performance.

You can look at Kobe hoods, maybe broan, but for "that" high of CFM, you are going for Prizer, Modern Aire.

others you could look at in the midrange would be Faber...

You need something decent to compliment that bluestar unit. get baffle filters at the very least.

I took a gamble on an ebay purchase and it was worth it. These aren't sub 1000 bucks, but are decent units at 'reasonable' prices

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vent-A-Hood-NPH18236-SS-Stainless-Steel-36-Inch-Hood-New-Warranty-600-CFM-/251053327218?pt=US_Cooktops&hash=item3a73f1c372

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vent-A-Hood-NEPXH18236-SS-Stainless-Steel-36-Inch-Hood-New-Warranty-600-CFM-/261037860116?pt=US_Cooktops&hash=item3cc711a514

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vent-A-Hood-SLH30236H-SS-Stainless-Steel-600-CFM-36-Inch-Wide-W-HEAT-LAMPS-/251203600361?pt=US_Cooktops&hash=item3a7ce6bfe9

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 12:07PM
EpicureEmily

Thanks Zivman, I've been thinking that I'd probably be fine with the 600 models....I don't do much frying, I don't have the grill and I really only use my fan now when I'm canning (lots of steam) or on the rare occasion I burn something.
Your advice confirms my suspicions. :)

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 1:30AM
calumin

I think the answer to your original question is probably "no" -- but for what it's worth, I got a 36" Zephyr Venezia hood for my 36" Bluestar. 715cfm, and was about $1200. We cook a lot and it has been very good for us.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
When should a boiler-warranty start?
We have a dispute with the company, that installed...
doofus
steam damage to cabinets from steam oven or warming drawer?
When we had a kitchenaid dishwasher, the hot moist...
houztongirl
Wolf MDL error update
Wolf came out today and they are going to replace the...
a2gemini
Lacanche-beautiful but how functional?
I am very tempted to splurge on a Lacanche for our...
mbwestfall
Need Advice on Best Gas Range/Cooktop for Short Person
I will be getting either a new gas cooktop or a dual-fuel...
yaupon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™