Market for Victorian and Empire furniture?

kate38August 28, 2012

I am cleaning out a relative's home and it's all either Victorian or Empire furniture in good to fair condition. Is there any market for that these days? Some of the chairs are probably still filled with horsehair. I'm just not sure what to do with it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
antiquesilver

It probably depends on what you have & where you're located. If you're in an area where there are historic neighborhoods you shouldn't have a problem. Due to the size, local sales are your best bet as the cost of shipping would be prohibitive.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 2:19PM
jlc102482

I buy a lot of Victorian furniture, and many dealers on many occasions have remarked to me that there's not much of a market for Victorian stuff right now. However, that might just be my area (Western NY), as there's not much of a market here for anything right now! I agree with antiquesilver in that you should do okay in an area with historic district. I think you would also do okay as long as you're in a semi-urban area. Don't rule out eBay, either, as there are hardcore people (like me) who regularly troll for Victorian furniture by using the "local pickup only" search feature.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 3:16PM
texasredhead

Consider Craigslist if you are familiar with this venue.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 8:56AM
kate38

Thank you all. The house is not far from an historic district so will consider a local sale. Unfortunately no one can be available for Craigslist buyers to stop by and look.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 11:53AM
palimpsest

Is there a local auction place that does non-reserve auctions, or a consignment place? At this point, the Victorian, Empire market in my area--particularly for pieces of Civil War era and after is almost negligible. Maybe $50 for a chair at auction, or $75-100 in a shop if it is in decent condition. (unless it is an important identified manufacturer)

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 9:59PM
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b

I wish you were in Iowa. I bet you have something I want! Sofa? Cupboard that I could use as a pantry? OH, well. I'll keep looking here.

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 10:14PM
kate38

I'll check on local auctions, palimpset. Lov, I bet I do have something, but the shipping would cost more than the value of the piece, I'm sure.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 1:27PM
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b

That darn shipping. Gets me every time! But it's hard to find the things that speak to me. Not everything does. True antique furniture is still out of my price range here. I need something like this little cabinet.

And I would really like to find an "old" sofa. Not 1970's old; 1870's old!

And feast your eyes on this ice box! It would be perfect for canned goods storage. http://masoncity.craigslist.org/atq/3254013073.html

Here is a link that might be useful: little cupboard

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 3:52PM
igloochic

If you are considering selling the home, consider keeping the items to stage the home with. New buyers might or might not want it but it would stage nicely. Feel free to post pictures if you would like and those of us in the know can tell you if it's something special in advance, otherwise I myself would be happy to just suggest uses for them in staging (I'm a bit of a pro there).

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 12:00AM
kate38

Lov, there's nothing like that cabinet in the house. Anything that could be used for storage has more carved wood and glass. Igloochic, some others have suggested we leave the furniture in the house for staging because we are definitely selling the house. I think we will probably end up doing that, i.e. staging. If I were more high tech and had more time, I'd post pix, but sadly, I don't.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 6:59AM
More Discussions
Japanese Floral Calendar Plate Collection by Hamilton
I was given a set of 12 Japanese Chokin plates by a...
alygal
Can anyone identify this nightstand?
This nightstand was my grandmas and was given to me...
Michael Potter
camelback sofa
Hello there - could anyone help me to identify the...
jerome_shorter
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
Mystery Lamp Company
Hello. I am trying to find out information about the...
debragcar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™