You are over 60 with fine, thin, straight hair

pauline13August 6, 2005

that won't take a perm. How do you wear your hair?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dayenu

cut into a wonderful bob at chin level and use products that give some zap to you hair --- like:
Aveda's volumnizing toner or phomollient, they really work. I am in my 50's with baby fine hair and they give me very natural oomph.

Bookmark   August 7, 2005 at 1:17PM
petaloid

I'm in my 50's with hair as you describe. I also keep mine chin-length, with bangs to soften my high forehead. I use Volumax sculpting gel spray, velcro rollers and a hand-held hair dryer (med/low heat) to shape it into a style I like; puffy on top with the ends turned under.

When I get it styled to my satisfaction, I use the Volumax "freezing" hair spray to help keep it in place.

I use a mild shampoo but with fine, thin hair I wouldn't recommend conditioner. It can make your hair limp. (I use a little, only because my hair is a bit dry from bleached highlights.)

Bookmark   August 7, 2005 at 8:53PM
sylviatexas1

At 53, I have a pixie haircut.

Every morning, wash, comb straight back, let dry, & I'm all done!

(The short length makes it "fluff" so it doesn't remain combed straight back.)

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 4:13PM
donna37

Mine is rather a pixie, cut short and I am 68 with my private hair dresser, my DH cuts my hair!
Donna

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 10:05PM
marylmi

I am 62(fine,thinning hair) and wear my hair at chin length & straight. I used to get a perm all the time but wasn't really satisfied with the way it looked. Last year when it was time for a perm, I noticed that alot of the national news gals had chin length hair cut straight, some looked like it was cut with scissors & some looked like it was cut with razor. (a little uneven) I though, "I can do that", so I took the plunge and started cutting with the scissors,and I am still getting compliments on my hair!!! And for the first time in a very long time....I like my hair. Plus I colored it.

Bookmark   September 30, 2005 at 6:45PM
pauline13

Sounds like chin length works for a lot of you. I can't tell you why, but I feel too old for that length. Maybe it's because one of my daughters has that style. For the last 25 years, I've worn my hair very short--not exactly pixie because I have too many cowlicks, but just about as short. Except for half bangs, I wear it combed back from my face, but this requires a lacquer-type hairspray as the natural growth pattern is toward my face. Of course, my hair doesn't move in a hurricane, but after all these years, I'm very bored with the same style.

Bookmark   October 4, 2005 at 1:28PM
Orso_bianco

First stay away from the oversprayed hairdo that won't move. It's a sure sign of a woman who wants to do her hair once a week.
The chin length is a good idea.

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 11:22PM
sylviatexas1

My mother wore a pageboy for a number of years, despite her hairdresser begging her to try a shorter 'do.
The pageboy added width & weight to my mother's wide jawline.
It made her face & jaw look jowly & heavy.

Chin length works best, I think, for faces with "good bones" (Audrey Hepburn comes to mind) & for people with slim jawlines or wide foreheads, for a balanced effect.

My Aunt Lillie had a slim face with good bones, & she wore her fine, straight, silver hair in the style y'all are talking about:
soft bangs, center part, chin length.
At the age of 92, she was adorable.

Bookmark   October 26, 2005 at 8:38PM
triciajune

I am 68 and HAD great thick hair even into my late 50's then it began to thin...really thin...I had always kept the natural auburn tinted and only recently started to allow the white hair to take over. Now it is almost solid white (not grey). I kept it at chin length all thru the 50's and up until recently, BUT now since it has gotten thinner that just does NOT work. That length requires more hair than I have. Mine is UNDER-LAYERED to give it more body and done about two inches below the ear. I can fluff it up, or pull it behind the ear, and the bang barely touches the eyebrow, so it can be worn to the side or as a fluffy light bang for softness. It seems to be the only alternative I can find for now. I spend a lot of time outside and like a casual easy-do. And too, what I am saying, is what works when women are 50-60, just does not always work after 10 or 15 years of natural changes.
I am trying to go with the flow, but the currents seem to always be changing. Ha! So, experiment and have fun.

Bookmark   November 29, 2006 at 2:16AM
cattknap

I'm 56 and wear my hair short, and use hair thickening cream before I blow dry, a round brush and Di:Fi light weight hair wax to give me a little body and lift to the ends....then I spray my hair with Bed Head hairspray by TIGI. I get a weave in my blond hair every 8 weeks which really helps with body...my hair is completely straight and without any body or wave....yet it looks good most of the time - just takes a good short cut (every 4 or 5 weeks), professional weave and good products.

Bookmark   December 1, 2006 at 10:30PM
triciajune

I might also mention that the older Iget the more FRIGILE my hair gets. First it WOULD NOT for anything hold a tint. NOPE ! It rebelled and simply stated NO MORE...thus, the white hair. It thinned (as I said before) and became more brittle...or maybe dry. So, I would be scared to death to try weaving, as I have heard it can pull out the best of hair after a while. However, believe me, I did THINK about it. Of course, I have thought about a wig or "piece". hmm-m-m-m-m-m no just not me. So I wash often with a gentle shampoo, apply some gel, blow dry and use a round brush. All that helps with the good UNDERCUT about once a month. I put on a good quality condidtioner about onece a motn and let it sit over night before I wash it. This has been a BIG challenge in growing older. Something I just did not plan for or expect, but there you are............

Bookmark   December 26, 2006 at 3:06PM
Bunton01

I am 57 and had a hair disaster 2 years ago (too much chemical processing on my baby fine hair)! I now use Surya Henna Cream (no peroxide or amonia) each month, which is making my dark brown hair stronger, shinier and healthier looking, while getting rid of my grey. I use suphate-free shampoos (Swell Volume by Brocato) and a small amount of Brocato leave-in conditioner and let it air dry. While it's drying, I'll periodically comb it up and out with a pic-comb. When dry, I use Caruso Steam Rollers, leaving them in for only a minute or so for body, or longer for more curl. My hair right now hates heat of any kind (except for the steam rollers) so this seems to be my best option at this time. I will go shorter later, and those chin-length styles sound adorable. Thanks for your tips!

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 9:26PM
MaureenB8

I'm like Donna and Sylvia, a short pixie style. I wash my hair daily with mild shampoo and towel it dry, brush it back and it falls into a pixie. Couldn't be easier, oh, and I leave it au natural - white.

Bookmark   December 11, 2014 at 3:04PM
susanjf_gw

lol..went from O hair from chemo, several years ago,
to now halfway down my back....it's just a phase but I do plan to cut it and soon...(not real short, too cold right now) I feel i'm in a "mother earth" stage, giggle....btw i'm 68...

btw when I do go out, I pull it back in a pony...just around the house i'm wild child....

Bookmark   February 6, 2015 at 7:33PM
Lyban

I have never heard of steam rollers before reading comment above.

Has anyone else tried these.

Bookmark   February 9, 2015 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
Revlon Mechanical Eyebrow Pencil Refill
I have used the Revlon Mechanical Eyebrow Pencil and...
MrsJrs
Facial Hair from upper lip
Hi All upper lip I have an embrassing problem with...
Angel1977
HOW much for a cut and highlight?
I normally post on the quilting and diet club boards,...
miscindy
Coconut Oil
I have been hearing so much abut the benefits of Coconut...
mizscarlett2001
Skin Health Maintenance
Hi, I am 30 and need advice on my skin care/skin health...
alexander123
Sponsored Products
Hannah 59" Soaking Bathtub by Wyndham Collection - White
Modern Bathroom
Outdoor Fan: Westinghouse Bayside 44 in. Indoor/Outdoor Oil Rubbed Bronze Ceilin
Home Depot
Woodlands Fuchsia Titanium Vase Arrangement
Overstock.com
Bocci | 28.28 Rectangle Pendant Chandelier
YLighting
Pub Adjustable Island Pendant
$414.90 | Bellacor
Laurice Taupe Ceramic Table Lamps Set of 2
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™