How safe are manicures

suntideAugust 5, 2006

Hi,

I have been thinking of getting a manicure but I am not sure how safe they are. I have heard different stories, some good and some bad. I do wear nail polish occasionally and for the summer I wear it on my toes.

Any advice for a first time manicure?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Happyladi

Well, I have started doing my own because of worries about fungus. A woman at work picked one up when she got a pedicure. From what I have read it is a problem with footbaths not being disinfected correctly.

I am sure the problem is rare but I don't want to take a chance. I don't find it that hard to do my own.

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 8:27PM
sheilajoyce_gw

Fungus is not a rare problem at all with salon pedicures. Do them yourself and save yourself the grief. Go to a beauty supply and buy some nice products for a quality job.

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 10:25PM
cbarkston

I just had a manicure and a pedicure today at the local community college beauty school. There they teach their students proper procedures for making sure everything is disinfected. They said the major problem with pedicures is with the basins that have the whirlpools---the fungus grows in the jets that are hard to get into to disinfect. I feel fairly safe in that school environment where the students must follow procedure and the instructor checks them. Plus---you save tons of money over a regular salon! I don't know how much it varies from state to state, but my state has health standards for salons and does random surpise inspections---they can lose their license if they don't follow cleanliness codes.

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 2:19AM
More Discussions
Facial Hair from upper lip
Hi All upper lip I have an embrassing problem with...
Angel1977
Revlon Mechanical Eyebrow Pencil Refill
I have used the Revlon Mechanical Eyebrow Pencil and...
MrsJrs
Can a fiftyish woman have oily skin?
What exactly is oily skin? I have an oily T zone, doesn't...
bossyvossy
My pants are too short!
I have two pairs of pants that are 97% cotton and 3%...
Valerie Emmerich
Laser Hair Removal
My annual bonus this year will fund something I've...
mary_md7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™