What would this be called?

raetaylorAugust 12, 2011

I am thinking about buying this but before i make an offer I wanted to do some research. After hours of research ive yet to find even a like one with a pedestal. The feet are solid wood carved and very large. I cant find any marks on the piece except for the underside of one drawer. The mark is V1 cut into the wood. Anyone have any ideas? I love this piece but dont want to pay way too much for it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

It's an American Empire, probably mahogany vanity table. Looks to be all original and in good condition and if so....ought to cost a pretty bundle of cash.

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 12:49PM
raetaylor

Thanks for the information! So what do you think is a good price range?

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 1:06PM
Mikk

Linda's spot on. Looks to be in much better than anticipated condition. A little difficult to see details (coulda dusted the pedestal ;-)), but looks to be mainly graded solids. Bet it had a wonderful little stool to go with it. Anticipating similar quality in the overall construction points, and without even knowing the maker, I wouldn't be shocked if it was into 4 digits.

"good price range?"... anything under 4 digits...? lol

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 1:54PM
raetaylor

Thanks Mikk I appreciate your imput!
It may have once went with a chair, but it would have to been a tall chair. I should have taken measurements but main top is approx 40+ inches high. Im 5'4" and it was chest level. I also had to tilt the mirror down just to see myself. I found the height strange for a vanity, I thought maybe a mens dressing table or bureau? but then again im barely a novice in antique furniture.

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 2:16PM
Mikk

40+ inches??? Holy shenola on a stick!! That's a monster! The photo is deceiving. You're probably right then. A men's dressing table/valet, or an entryway valet (last bit of "spruce" before heading out the door), and I would imagine no chair/stool, which would kind of fit seeing that the base would be entirely cumbersome at that size. I would have guesstimated more around a 30-32" by 36".

In that event, it's a bit of a oddity for my frame of reference. I have to say that I've never seen anything like that in that size before... especially in solids in those proportions. In a formal entry, it would be QUITE an impressive piece.

Now I'm dying to know what they are asking for it! :-) Around 6 and I would love to have it just for bragging rights. lol

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 3:10PM
raetaylor

Well Im a happy camper! I just bought this piece! I cant wait until I can bring it home next week!!!!!!! Thanks for your help!

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 6:35PM
raetaylor

Ohh I forgot, I purchased this for the amazing price of 750.00

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 6:41PM
calliope

I've never seen anything quite like it and also wondered about where one would place a stool or their feet because I also assumed it was some sort of vanity. It certainly makes a statement.

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 7:11PM
Mikk

Awwwwww.. you DOG! (no offense intended) lol Others may have a different perspective on this piece, but if it is as represented, that's not too shabby a deal. Not a "steal" or as a resell piece, but as a future family heirloom it's really quite a prize, IMHO.

With those dimensions, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a commissioned piece. Lovely!! I hope you might share some additional photos once you get it home. (salivating)

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 10:22PM
raetaylor

Ha Ha ... No Offense taken! Well I share your perspective, I feel in love with this when I first saw it... someone would have to pry it from my dead hands before i let it go... ha ha! Although I live in a 1920's arts and craft type home.. I have a large hall with stairs.. this will fit perfectly! I will be sure to take some pics and post them once it is home :)

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 11:06PM
lazy_gardens

You are going to like this:

http://www.newel.com/PreviewImage.aspx?ItemID=9521

It could have been a man's dressing table. they habitually stood up to get groomed, while women sat down.

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 1:17PM
JuanitaWilkins

I just paid $22.87 for an iPad2-64GB and my girlfriend loves her Panasonic Lumix GF 1 Camera that we got for $38.76 there arriving tomorrow by UPS. I will never pay such expensive retail prices in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 40 inch LED TV to my boss for $675 which only cost me $62.81 to buy. Here is the website we use to get it all from, BidsGet.com

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 8:39PM
calliope

Holy moley. $18k for a dressing table. No wonder I've never seen anything like it. LOLOL

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 12:58AM
raetaylor

That dressing table is beautiful! I love the carving. I wish i'd have found that .... but I will settle for its not as attractive 2nd cousin....lol !

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 11:10AM
More Discussions
camelback sofa
Hello there - could anyone help me to identify the...
jerome_shorter
Are garage sales a thing of the past?
Years ago when my mom and I had garage sales, our yard...
debodun
Tapestry
Hi there, my husband and I inherited this tapestry...
colleen3684
Help identifying a vase?
Does anyone know anything about this vase.It has no...
Melissa Mcintosh
Sponsored Products
Belham Living Richland Hall Tree - Antique White - 9701-080
$329.98 | Hayneedle
Justice Design Group FAL-8924 - Modular 4 Light Bath Bar - Round Flared Shade -
$398.00 | Hayneedle
AHB Havana Bar Stool - 130706GS-L37
$219.95 | Hayneedle
Round Multi Mirror
Grandin Road
RION Furniture - Colonial Side Table Left in Hand Rubbed Brown -...
Great Furniture Deal
Arteriors Home - Nick Antique Brass Mirror Side Table - 6554
Great Furniture Deal
Arteriors Home - Stirrup Cocktail Table - DD2047
Great Furniture Deal
Authentic Models 18th Century Atlas Armillary 10-Inch Diameter Tabletop Globe Mu
$525.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™