Backsplash question

Pat422January 6, 2014

We recently remodeled our guest bathroom using an old buffet as the vanity. When we bought it a used furniture store it had a glass top cut to size. We had a granite top made using the glass as a template. We are now considering the backsplash. I am thinking of having the glass cut so that the curved portion (plus about 3 more inches) can be used as a backsplash but I am not sure how to secure it to the wall. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pat422

Here us a picture of the buffet in the bathroom. We are kind of debating whether we even need a backsplash ...

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 6:11PM
enduring

I really think the curved backsplash could be nice. I think it would finish it off. Take some black construction paper and cut out your design and tape it up and observe it for a few days to see if you like it.

I don't know how fabricators attach the backsplash. I will be getting one and I will have to watch the process. but that is a few weeks out.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 8:04PM
ineffablespace

I think it gets attached with adhesive to the wall and the joint at the bottom is caulked with matching caulk.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 10:21PM
vpierce

I'm thinking adhesive won't work if the glass is clear, right? How about a vertical u-shaped strip of metal at each end holding the glass upright and in place, then caulk along the bottom?

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 11:15PM
enduring

Oh I miss understood. I thought you were going to get the stone cut into the shape of that curved front for the 4" backsplash.

Well, I don't think it will look good to have glass and stone. And like Vickimp comments, adhesive will show through. I bet that the glass is tempered, but maybe not. If it is tempered can it be cut? I was thinking that you can't cut tempered glass.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 6:32AM
Pat422

Thanks for the response. I hadn't thought about the fact that the glass would not be able to be cut. I will keep thinking. I appreciate the input.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 9:40AM
pricklypearcactus

I'm sorry I don't have a suggestion, but I really wanted to tell you how gorgeous your vanity is! It's very unique and really beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 10:26AM
likewhatyoudo

I think it looks great without a backsplash. great job!

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 10:46AM
chispa

I would have done a 3 - 4" high backsplash in the same granite, with some curved detail at either end. Just enough water protection for the walls but not overwhelming to the design.

Great job with the vanity and top.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 12:09PM
Pat422

Thanks for the kind words. We did consider doing a backsplash in the same granite but the fabricating cost was prohibitive. It also would have made the distance between the faucet neck and the backsplash extremely small. Since it is the guest bathroom and doesn't get lots of use, I think we will leave it as is. Thanks again for the responses and the compliments.

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 8:35PM
More Discussions
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
numbersjunkie
Thinking about the new Bain Geysair Oval Plus. Opinions/Exp?
Hi, I think this really is the time we are actually...
raehelen
Small bathroom from scratch - layout help needed
http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/b86dc96a-7c58-42f3-8ba3-408b7c9610f2...
peace_rose
Quality Pocket Door Frames?
(Please accept my apology for the duplicate post -...
ahmnj
extra tile decisions
It turns out I have more grey crackle tile than I needed...
edwina 1330
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™