DIY Closets

housefulMarch 1, 2005

Here is my first attempt at building closet shelves. I am pretty happy with the way they turned out. Each shelf started out 2 feet deep. After they were in, I got on a step stool to see if I could reach all the way, especially the top two. I ended up cutting back the top two a few inches. I also had the kids reach into the lower shelves and 2 feet was fine for them.

Because I knew this closet would hold fairly light weight items, I used MDF strips that were preprimed. The shelving is melamine. It is cheaper to buy large sheets of melamine and have the store cut them down. Otherwise you can buy smaller, limited sizes. Plus, I wanted at least 2 feet for some of the shelves and the deepest precut were 18". This closet cost me $60.

I remember Jeff commenting that closets are a good way to practice your wood working skills. He's right. This was pretty simple, but I will work my way up to clothes closets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Closet project

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jason_MI

I like it.

Bookmark   March 2, 2005 at 12:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
okwriter

Wanna come do mine? I'm thinking I'll have to fetch DHs power tools and do it myself - of course, he'll see me and get right on it!!!

okwriter (who moved into the house in July and is still waiting for one closet to get shelves)

Bookmark   March 2, 2005 at 2:05PM
More Discussions
Don Gardner Callaway Plan - anyone have pictures
My wife and I are considering building the Don Gardner...
Scott Carson
Sending my floor plan modifications to the architect. Ideas?
I have to have all my structural changes decided by...
houserookie
Modifying Master Bedroom Entry
This plan includes a nice hallway that runs across...
burbmomoftwo
Question about screen porch
First, I'm ONLY thinking about the porch right now....
mrspete
is/has anyone built a frank betz home?
Just wondering... Which model? We are currently considering...
liptonjl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™