Cherry Dining Room Set, circa 1930

dadreddAugust 12, 2010

I trying to locate the stylr of this set and ultimately establish its value. Does anyone have any information? Pictures of the set can be seen at the following location.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/atq/1893954817.html

Cherry Dining Room Set, cica 1930, excellent condition, some minor scratches.

Dovetail drawer construction, hardwood

Table 72" with 12" leaf x 18" x 30"

Buffet 39" x 18" x 32" (4 drawers

China Cabinet (lower) 58" x 20" x 32" (8 drawers)

China Cabinet (upper) 56" x 41" x 36" (cur glass doors, 2 shelves x 3 bays)

6 chairs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Well it's not 1930's...more like 1960. I would call it mid century modern.
Sorry, can't say what to ask...it comes down to what would make you pleased to sell it for.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining set

Bookmark   August 12, 2010 at 9:21AM
lazy_gardens

Definitely not 1930s ... look at the legs on the China Cabinet and they are the mid 60s "modern" ones.

Nice set.

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 3:21PM
Fori is not pleased

Probably worth more than a 30s set too. I like it.

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 4:28PM
dadredd

thanks

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 1:57PM
calliope

Good point Fori. Mid century modern is a pretty hot item now. I am of the age, I suffered through it as a kid/teen. My folks picked some Danish modern items up when we lived in Europe and brought it to the states. I always looked at it with a jaundiced eye. I have definitely rethought keeping those pieces now because I imagine they are worth more than some of the twenty/thirty something pieces I always preferred.

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 5:29PM
dadredd

Ok. So it is Danish modern 1960's -- right? How do I price it for sale. I know what I paid for it used in 1975 but the wood and finish are beautiful (needs some minor finishing). I love the set but my new wife likes another style. I cannot keep it until my 21 year old marries (hopefully I long time away) and I hate to give it away for nothing.

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 5:39PM
lindac

If the 21 year old likes it....put it in storage for a few years. Kids don't have to be married to need a table and chairs....
I am guessing it would be worth about what you paid for it.
Linda C

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 7:17PM
calliope

I'm sorry I didn't answer sooner. I'd say Linda is pretty close with her evaluation unless you are in a market where mid-century modern is especially hot now. It's not deflating to know it is probably worth what you paid for it in 1975, because that was probably a good amount and hey, how many things have you used for thirty five years you can turn around and get reimbursed for and it cost essentially nothing?

I'm not going to stick my neck out and say it's Danish Modern, but its styling is pretty close and I've seen some authentic Danish modern Hutches of that era with almost identical design. Danish modern has been around since the forties and it's not usually crafted in cherry. But, I love cherry and that would be a selling point for me.

I had a 'waterfall' bedroom suite when I was a senior in high school. I detested it, because it wasn't old enough to be collectable then, nor new enough to be stylish. I was thrilled when we moved and it stayed behind. LOL. But, boy would I love to have it now. I guess what I am saying is that good furniture is always in style eventually or to somebody. If people would actually pay what it's worth, even out of vogue good sets would hold their value compared to the mostly composite sets you'd spend a lot of money for now.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 12:44AM
More Discussions
Three crown stamp on fork: Swedish or U.S.?
Any idea on the age or authenticity of this brass fork...
bradleyd_svh
Copper bowls
Can anyone provide any info relating to these copper...
Cassie- LeBlanc
Mystery Lamp Company
Hello. I am trying to find out information about the...
debragcar
Need history of "Lister Woodcraft"
Trying to determine if this wooden candlestick is really...
bradleyd_svh
W H Grindley Satin White
Can someone help me to identify the pattern? The stamp...
TulipWoolf
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™