Whirlpool Stainless Steel Appliances Streak

dovetonsilsFebruary 16, 2014

I have a stainless steel Whirlpool dishwasher and my son has three stainless Whirlpool appliances and all have the same problem. When you clean them with any cleaning product I have tried, it leaves dark streaks all over. While you are cleaning the steel, it looks like it will come out bright and beautiful, but after it dries, it is all streaked. The only thing I was able to use that did not have that phenomenon was a cooking oil spray. Does anyone have Whirlpool or other appliances with that problem? I have other stainless appliances and sinks that you can use anything on and they come out shiny and no streaks. Anything else to try?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xc60

I stopped using cleaning products or polishes on mine. I tried so many different ones all left them streaky or greasy... Now I just use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe them clean and another to dry. Look great for weeks with lots of teenage boys in the house.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 2:21AM
dadoes

Same as xc60 ... no greasy/oily "cleaning" products. I did use such products in the past. Gently scrubbed the residue off (rub only in direction of the polishing marks and rinse well) with Bar Keeper's Friend. Now I wipe with a damp cloth, and use Bar Keeper's Friend when needed to deal with stubborn smudges and spills.

Bar Keeper's Friend contains oxalic acid which effectively removes and refreshes the protective chromium oxide layer on stainless steel.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 8:55AM
magicnumber3

I had good luck with Windex on my Whirlpool side by side fridge. Nothing else worked.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 12:00PM
sleevendog

Same here. Gave up a long time ago with gunk and oils. Attracts dust and streaks easily.
It takes a bit of time to get it all off the first time. Stay with it, go with the grain, wipe and wipe, clean again, and use a very clean cloth to dry. Might take a few tries.
Now i just do a simple clean every other month, and maybe a simple wipe and buff once a week if that. You must dry it well. Leaves streaks if left to dry on its own.
I use BarKeeps or more often BonAmi.
Some minor 'paw' prints near the handles will buff off with just a cloth now that all that 'stainless' cleaner gunk is no longer used.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
Need advice on combining induction and gas
This is my first post. Please forgive the length or...
jdsb2
24" refrigerator. Liebherr, Fagor, LG, etc?
We live in Boston. We are in the market for 24"....
ttkogi
48" Wolf, Thermador or Bluestar...or something else?
Looking into purchasing a 48" range. Wolf: Classic....
wren21
Counter depth refrigerators - who actually stocks them?
I need to replace my current counter depth refrigerator,...
yjacket86
Who makes Counter Depth fridge less than 36" wide
Hi, who makes a counter depth fridge that is only say...
Brad Goodyear
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™