hair product buildup cure

kimmey43July 29, 2008

I use a gel before blowdrying, a thickening spray once my hair is dry (to "place" my hair, especially my bangs) and a final spray of hairspray to capture the days creation haha. Needless to say my hair gets quite crunchy and my bangs get this gross "coating". After much trial and error, today I mixed a heaping tablespoon of baking soda with my shampoo, lathered and left it on for a few minutes (3 or 4) before rinsing and conditioning...IT WORKED WONDERS!! all the goop is gone, my hair is super soft and shiny. Just had to share because its great when you find something that works and is CHEAP (I've spent a fortune on clarifying and purifying shampoos).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carla35

I usually try a rinse with a little vinegar in water to help take of off product buildup... It seems to work well on my hair. It seems squeeky clean and shinier.

I do color my hair though so I'm always afraid of these deep cleaning methods. Do you think the baking soda would be ok on colored treated hair?

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 11:57AM
kimmey43

I color my hair (blonde) and it was fine. I don't know about dark or red colors as they fade fast enough on their own. Vinegar didn't work for me.

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 8:07AM
xantippe

I do a baking soda treatment every couple of weeks and the improvement is amazing! I got the idea from the recipe website I frequent, recipezaar.com. I've posted the link to the recipe below. As you can see from the 42 reviews, there are some issues (the soda can strip hair dye right out, for instance), but most people love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: hair clarifier

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 2:46PM
More Discussions
Suggestions for good hair cutting cape
I have a hair cutting kit which I use to cut my husband's...
peabody1
Can a fiftyish woman have oily skin?
What exactly is oily skin? I have an oily T zone, doesn't...
bossyvossy
buying named fragrances on-line ... risky?
I find fragrances I like are not popular sometimes...
vieja_gw
You are over 60 with fine, thin, straight hair
that won't take a perm. How do you wear your hair?
pauline13
dry scalp
I'm having a problem with my scalp. It seems so dry...
brownthumbia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™