Need HELP with sterling silver

aprilflower71July 20, 2004

DH thought he was doing a *good* thing when he cleaned my (solid, not plated) sterling silver chain and charm in my jewelry cleaner...Now he has a mess that looks slightly copper-ish with rainbow hues...is there any hope? Anyone know of a way to restore the finish at home? Is there even a way to restore the finish? DH is beside himself, and I'd like to surprise him by fixing it. Thanks in advance!

aprilflower

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaybird

I would polish it with a good silver cleaner like Wright's cream...rub it well with the sponge in the cleaner jar...rinse and buff with a clean soft cloth. If it is ever going to be "fixed" at home, that should do it! Otherwise it's off to the jeweler! Good luck!

Bookmark   July 21, 2004 at 1:24PM
aprilflower71

Thanks so much for the advice, I'll give it a try this weekend - cross your fingers! :-)

thanks again,
aprilflower

Bookmark   July 21, 2004 at 6:50PM
weed30

Found this on the web:

"Most Silver can be cleaned with warm soapy water. However, never use a cleaner that contains Ammonia, which will turn Silver black. Should this occur, Vinegar will reverse the effects of Ammonia. There are also commercial cleaners available but should be used with caution; always read the label. Do not put Silver in your dishwasher."

Here it is mentioned again:

" Ammonia will turn your sterling silver black.
Products such as Windex and standard Jewelry Cleaner have ammonia in them. . . DO NOT USE THEM!!!

Problems will develop and will not clean by conventional methods if ammonia and/or a product containing ammonia has been used.

Should you confront this situation, clean the jewelry with vinegar.

Vinegar will not clean silver, BUT it's opposite on the PH scale and will negate the effects of the ammonia.

After you clean with the vinegar, you can then clean the silver by conventional means; warm sudsy water and use a soft toothbrush, or approved sterling silver cleansers."

-----------------

I would still be careful - vinegar is acidic, probably not good for sterling either. Try Silver Cleaner first, maybe that will work.

Bookmark   July 22, 2004 at 9:41AM
aprilflower71

Thanks so much! I've got some vinegar in the pantry that I'll set aside for use if the silver polish doesn't work.

Bookmark   July 22, 2004 at 8:55PM
michie1

I SWEAR by Tarnax. No scrubbing, cleaning off creams - just dip it for a seond literally, rinse & dry. It's avail at many drug & grocery stores.

Michie

Bookmark   July 24, 2004 at 2:51PM
chinacat_sunflower

:) funny... the only jewelry in our house that isn't sterling are our wedding bands (white gold for strength) and a pair of opal earrings I couldn't resist...

and honestly...on the rare occasion that I don't just polish them on my jeans, or 'finger' polish them (my fingertips are about 1000 grit. most people's are about 1200. makes a great final buffing) I use toothpaste. the abrasive is fine enough not to ruin the polish, but enough that it cleans it up beautifully...

and scrambling them in eggs will restore the 'sulpher' black that accents stamped patterns.

Bookmark   July 28, 2004 at 10:42AM
cube1067

I use that Quicksilver plate. Bought it 10 years ago, finally used it a few weeks ago and it really works. I know they sell it on QVC, but I bought mine at a local home show.

Bookmark   July 28, 2004 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Does Bare minerals make your face itch????
Another thread about Bare minerals...Sorry, But I need...
Carrie_AZ
HOW much for a cut and highlight?
I normally post on the quilting and diet club boards,...
miscindy
Revlon Mechanical Eyebrow Pencil Refill
I have used the Revlon Mechanical Eyebrow Pencil and...
MrsJrs
What to Wear with Dresses in the Winter
I notice the women on the morning shows all wear short...
blueheron
What is a good face cream to use,that WORKS?
I think I've tried every brand of face creams,night...
Dotty9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™