Question for professional Hairdressers in the group

CatKozJuly 14, 2005

I've been using semi-permanent color (L'Oreal ColorSpa) to cover my grey under the assumption that semi-permanent is less damaging to hair than permanent color.

Is this correct, or am I deluding myself ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
centralcacyclist

I'm no pro but I have done the semi permament color and had my hair color professionally done (permanment color). The semi-permanent I have done at home seems much more drying.

Bookmark   July 16, 2005 at 10:32PM
joann23456

I'm not a hairdresser either, but I did exactly as you're doing under the same assumption. Now, I have my hair professionally colored with a permanent product, and see no dryness. I do use products meant for colored hair, which add moisture.

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 10:34AM
petaloid

I used to use Clairol's professional The Beautiful Collection semi-permanent (from a beauty supply store) and had no problems with damage or drying. It covered the greys well for about 4-6 weeks at a time.

Now I get professional highlighting and lowlighting which camouflages and blends in the grey. That works well for me, but I do need to use some conditioner on the ends.

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 1:11PM
CatKoz

Thanks for the feedback, ya'll.

I'm wondering if other semi-permanent brands are less drying.

I've seen The Beautiful Collection in Sally's. I think I'll give it a whirl next time around.

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 7:58PM
ponderinstuff

Semi Permanant has a lower volume of peroxide and mostly coats the hair (that is why it wears off, it can stain the hair though). Permanent has higher volume of peroxide/more damage. Pulling the color through your ends continually can damage it.

Many hairdressers use permanent on roots to cover gray and color ends with a semi or demi color to balance it as needed, which is less damaging.

Some hair products contain ammonia which is hard on the hair too.

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 10:13AM
cube1067

Recently covered my gray with a powder permanent dye which has no ammonia or peroxide. First time I used a powder permanent and it is the best dye job I ever had - even my hair stylist commented on it. Then I did research and found my dye contained PPD which is deemed toxic and can be absorbed thru the skin, particularly when used for skin tattoos, but my dye (Bigen) contains less of the PPD than L'Oreal or Nutrisse! I did a patch test for 48 hours because I'd never used powder permanent before ... but research says that allergic reactions may not show during a patch test. But so far, so good...it's 3 weeks now. I did a protein restructure and a deep condition immediately after dyeing my hair. I think PPD is present in the black tinted colors....Bigen comes in many other colors.

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 1:41PM
liz_chemfree

I had an incredibly bad experience with natural hair color containing ppd. I am on medication for 12 weeks because of it. Are you saying that Bigen in the lighter shades does not contain ppd?

Bookmark   June 11, 2006 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Revlon Mechanical Eyebrow Pencil Refill
I have used the Revlon Mechanical Eyebrow Pencil and...
MrsJrs
Help settle bet--free shampoo. & style on the line
My stylist swears hair is alive and I contend hair...
bossyvossy
Can a fiftyish woman have oily skin?
What exactly is oily skin? I have an oily T zone, doesn't...
bossyvossy
My pants are too short!
I have two pairs of pants that are 97% cotton and 3%...
Valerie Emmerich
Wigs
I have decided to purchase a couple Paula Young wigs,...
lucillle
Sponsored Products
Folding Teak Shower Seat
Signature Hardware
Bulletin Brushed Steel Three-Light Pendant
$178.20 | Bellacor
24" Venica Mahogany Vanity
Signature Hardware
AICO Furniture - Tuscano Sideboard in Biscotti - 34007-26
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Chateau Beauvais Chair - 75834-BRONZ-39 /...
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Tuscano Mansion Bedroom Set Available in 2 Sizes...
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Essex Manor Wood Trim Sofa - 76815-DPBRN-57
Great Furniture Deal
Jelly Blue Fusion Jack Bronze Mini Pendant
$234.72 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™