mystery dish

neatomosquitoJuly 13, 2012

Hi. My sister and I were wondering if anyone knew anything about this plate. On the back is a sketch of a covered wagon with an "E" and an "R" on the wheels. All my cousin could tell us was that her mom used it for appetizers. I couldn't figure out how to post two pictures in one post so I will post the picture of the reverse in a separate post. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neatomosquito

Reverse of duck plate. I have searched google images etc until my eyes bled. Any and all hints would be appreciated!!

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 11:45PM
klseiverd

I'm thinking an appetizer plate, too. Those holes could hold picks with chunks of cheese... and maybe veggies on platter?

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 2:56PM
neatomosquito

could anyone recommend somewhere to look this up? How do I find who made it? any history?

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 8:27AM
lindac

Looks California to me....perhaps search California potteries marks.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 10:25AM
calliope

I think looking California is a good idea too, especially considering the style and mark.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 3:42PM
Fori is not pleased

Covered wagons don't seem very Californiaey to me!

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 3:50PM
calliope

That's how a lot of goods and people got there in the Westward expansion, before railroads.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 8:44PM
Fori is not pleased

I realize that. But it's not a quintessential California thing. It is not a symbol that makes one think CA. Oregon, sure. CA, no. CA is more associated with surfboards, mission bells, 49ers, oranges, clippers, suspension bridges, twenty mule teams, etc.

There just isn't that association between CA and Conestogas that many other states have, fair or not.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 9:15PM
calliope

You might want to look into a company named Ebeling Reuss. They are an importer who is located in Pennsylvania. They have just many, many marks on the wares they moved, most all of them have E&R somewhere in their marks or lables, often in addition to the marks of the actual producers of the pottery they were selling. They did not produce pottery themselves. I've seen labels with crowns, and E.R., Shields, liberty bells,but all have the E.R. somewhere in their labeling. Have done a little search, but none with covered wagons. It's a stretch, but they have moved a lot of pottery through the years.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 1:58AM
neatomosquito

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll let you know what I find out.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 8:25AM
Country-Boy

I agree, it's california. But there were hundreds if not thousands of them active in mid 20th century. Most were small, obscure and short-lived.

it may help your search to know this is not a chip/snack dish. it's a flower bowl. short stemmed flowers or large blooms such as a mophead peonies would be floated on the shallow water. the holes in the base of the figurine is a flower frog. stemmed flowers would be held in place by inserting them in the holes.

usually the flower frogs are separate - and usually lost on vintage pieces.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 2:48PM
neatomosquito

the dish is too shallow to be a flower bowl...way too shallow. My great aunt used it as an appetizer dish...what you call a flower frog is attached to the plate...and the holes are only big enough for a toothpick...

My Mom thinks her aunt bought it at a craft fair/or something similar in St. Augustine, Florida. But her husband was an antique dealer so..who knows.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 7:17PM
More Discussions
Vase no marks new or old ?
I have this vase with no mark at bottom, it's real...
Dones
What is this?
Picked up at a thrift store. Any ideas?
CathyChex
Book with stamp.
Have some one seen this book stamp on a book ? and...
Dones
Why isn't furniture selling?
I've been trying to sell this 45" diameter vintage...
debodun
Mystery Lamp Company
Hello. I am trying to find out information about the...
debragcar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™