What has happened to sizing in womens clothes?

shesheJune 14, 2009

Recently I bought a pair of Levi's in my regular size. I got

them home and they were not the size of my old ones.

I bought a satin robe, I brought it home and it was sized wrong. What I am seeing over and over lately is no care at all taken to size anything properly any more. When it comes to bras this is truly a disaster. Has anyone else noticed

this? I suppose the store gets your money anyway for a certain time until you return it. Maybe that is all they want. Of course buying online becomes truly difficult too.

sheshe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michelle_phxaz

Oh, anymore NOTHING is sized the same. At the Gap I am a medium, at other stores I can be up to an extra large. My work uniform shirt is a small. Who knows?

I hate it too, you really have to try on clothes every time to get the right fit. I feel your pain.

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 6:28AM
sarahbellum

Twenty-four years ago (at age 30) I weighed 100 lbs., and wore a size 5. I am now 54, still weigh 100 lbs., but -- get this -- I now wear a size 00 or sometimes even a size 16 in the little girls section.
Perhaps my making this clothing size-down, women are more prone to buying the smaller sizes? Makes no difference to me, as I usually wear my youngest daughters "old" clothes.

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 11:18PM
socks

Every company has it's own measurements for size, and they do not even seem to be consistent within a brand. You have to try on.

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 10:43AM
dilly_dally

Its not just that. It would be expected that different companies have different sizing. I tried on a bra at VS. It fit like a dream. I bought six. I got them home and when I tried on one in a different color it did not fit. I laid them all out and they were ALL different lengths. From the biggest one to the shortest one was a 6" difference with various lengths in between. I took them ALL back and showed them. I just got a shrug from the clerk.

This sort of thing happens often. I tried on a skirt and decided to get both colors. Sure enough the EXACT SAME skirt in a different color was huge.

Try on everything.

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 10:37AM
scarlett2001

It's because we get all our clothing manufactured outside the USA. Some worker 14 hours into a 16 hour day for 45 cents is not going to worry if they made that bra to size, they are just trying to keep body and soul together.

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 12:39AM
mary.helen

My body happened to clothing sizes as far as I can see. :-(
I used to wear 8's, then 10's, then 12's and now I wear a 16. At seventy I still care that I have gained inches where they never used to be and lumps and bumps that would have horrified me at 30. But you guys are right; nothing is consistent any more size wise. I looked at some summer knit shirts the other day at Costco marked XL. What a joke. Even in my most skinny days I could not have worn those shirts.

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 12:54PM
vieja_gw

I think you 'pay' for the smaller size tags! The cheaper the clothes the closer to my real size it seems but I see some celebrities who weigh much more than I have ever weighed & they supposedly wear a size 8 & weigh 158 lbs? Come on now!!

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
Revlon Mechanical Eyebrow Pencil Refill
I have used the Revlon Mechanical Eyebrow Pencil and...
MrsJrs
My pants are too short!
I have two pairs of pants that are 97% cotton and 3%...
Valerie Emmerich
Hair cut advice
Have any of you had a V cut or A U cut on the back...
arizonarose
where Cathy Daniels clothing sold...?
I have a hard time getting clothes to fit well &...
vieja_gw
Skin Health Maintenance
Hi, I am 30 and need advice on my skin care/skin health...
alexander123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™