Best Nailpolish for natural nails?

puddlejumperJune 29, 2003

I've used OPI for years and OPI is what the nail salons in my area use. I love the colors but the wear time is very short - about 3 days before it rubs off my nail tips. I thought I was hard on nail polish but after I did a little research tonight I learned that lots of people feel that OPI does not last long on natural nails. Any polish will last and last on acrylic nails, but what can I apply to my natural nails that will last a week?

By the way, I always apply a base coat, 2 coats of polish and a top coat.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jamie_mt

I actually have pretty good luck with OPI lasting a week (7 days or more) on my natural nails - do you have your hands in water or cleaners a lot? Just curious...

I also like Avon polishes - not the cheap stuff in the round plastic bottles (that doesn't last long), but the polish in the square glass bottles with blue caps. "Sinful" brand polishes are probably my favorites. Loreal polishes are pretty good too, but stay away from China Glaze...those barely last 5 days on my nails.

A good topcoat is probably the most important part of getting polish to last - I use Loreal 2 in 1 base/top coat or Avon's 2 in 1...both seem to work much better than OPI's top coat for me.

Hope this helps - good luck! :-)

My nails

Bookmark   July 1, 2003 at 4:18PM
lindac

I like Sally Hanson.....and if I re apply the top coat ( I like the visibly stronger) every couple of days...I can get a good 10 days out of a manicure.....and by then it's beginning to grow out...UGH!
Linda C

Bookmark   August 3, 2003 at 11:10PM
ArtsyCraftsy

I recently bought "Nail Savvy" brand polish at Sally's Beauty Supply. I never had a polish last so long on my nails....8 days until I got my first chip (2 polish coats with no base or top coat). 3 weeks on my toenails! Usually I chip within a day of applying. There was no significant wear on the tips, either.
BTW, the color was a gorgeous vibrant hot pink frost....perfect for summer.

Karen

Bookmark   August 6, 2003 at 4:15PM
chinacat_sunflower

: ) gotta be Sally Hanson's Hard As Nails (and their Teflon tuff line)

I'm a crafter, a gardener, and am redoing the house we jsut bought...so the amount of abuse my nails take is unnatural...and they're razor-fine,the kind you can bend in half.

but the only reason I have any nails at all is the coat of clear sealer I put on ever other day. even when I was 'just' typing for a living, if I wanted nails, this was the way that worked for me.

Bookmark   August 8, 2003 at 2:38PM
Terrapots

Use a nail bonder available at Sally's under your polish. This will make almost any of your polishes last a lot longer without wearing off at the tips so fast. Then use a good sealer when done. It's the oil in your natural nails tht causes the quick wearing down.

Bookmark   September 16, 2003 at 1:46AM
luv4pets

I agree with the Sally Hansen it has to be my fave as well. If you follow up with the same line top coat, you'll find your nails will grow out faster than the polish will wear off.
Angel

Bookmark   October 27, 2003 at 6:09AM
More Discussions
HOW much for a cut and highlight?
I normally post on the quilting and diet club boards,...
miscindy
Regular down vs. ultra lite down
Help, I live in the south where down is not part of...
scpalmetto
testing
Spirea reverting.
catkin
Laser Hair Removal
My annual bonus this year will fund something I've...
mary_md7
twisted silver chain
When I was in Poland a friend gave me a silver chain...
bleusblue
Sponsored Products
Trans-Ocean Seville SEVD8964419 Area Rug - Brown - SEVD8964419
$588.00 | Hayneedle
Limeade Bali Hai Rocking Chair
$124.99 | zulily
Recife Tamworth Cocoa Square: 7 Ft. 6 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$149.00 | Bellacor
Peyton 3-pc. Outdoor Loveseat Set, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Royal Stripe Cotton/Natural-down Fill Blanket
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Jute Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Safavieh Indoor/ Outdoor Mayaguana Terracotta/ Natural Runner (2'4 x 9'11)
Overstock.com
West Sofa - Lucky Turquoise Blue
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™